16.1.15

confessions of a wannabe domestic goddess

I am not what you would call "domestic," though I really do want to be.  After a lifetime of reading Martha Stewart Living, Pinterest finally saved me.  I can now search for easier methods, ingredient substitutes, and user-friendly shortcuts to becoming a domestic goddess.  I mean, don't we all want to be like Martha?  Minus the orange-is-the-new-black part, obvi.

One of my goals for the New Year is to become more organized.  Once upon a time, before my little Hs blessed my life and brought me from heels to flats, I was organized.  So. Very. Organized.  But I've gone a little by the wayside the last few years because, well... there are only so many hours in the day.  Anyway, I hope to return to a more organized state this year, for an increased wellness of body, mind, and spirit.  That might sound super lofty, but it breaks down to some really simple components--and meal planning is a big one.


As a working mom with two active little kids, meals are a major struggle for me, especially on the days that I work. The last thing I have the energy for after picking up the kids is make a sumptuous, Pinterest-worthy feast.  So we eat a lot of quesadillas.  It's really an organizational problem: I never do any meal planning for the week so I am perpetually winging it.  Isn't the first step admitting you have a problem?


Another problem is the giant bag of quinoa that has been sitting on my pantry shelf for basically a month now.  During an ill-fated Costco trip, I was overcome by the momentary domestic delusion that I am the person who has a million delicious quinoa recipes on hand and has mastered the art of clean living.  You and I both know that the only art I have mastered is how to cook one mean quesadilla (really, my quesadillas are that good).  So there the bag sits on the pantry shelf, the albatross around my wannabe domestic goddess neck.


Until this week.  I consulted Pinterest and pinned a handful of recipes to make.  From there, I put together my grocery list.  The key ingredient: quinoa.  After all, my intentions were good when I purchased it; Quinoa is SO GOOD FOR YOU!  It is protein rich, high in fiber, and contains all nine essential amino acids.  One of the other cool things about quinoa is that its basic flavor profile is pretty neutral so it lends itself well to both sweet and savory dishes.  




I decided to try lemon blueberry breakfast quinoa first, as an alternative to oatmeal, which I love.  It was super easy to make and a nice change of pace on a chilly winter morning.  The blueberries, which you fold in at the end, were the best addition; they popped just like when you eat a warm blueberry muffin.  Next time I make this, I think I will add in some steel cut oats as well for a more varied texture.

Up next on my list is quinoa spinach mac and cheese, because who doesn't need a guilt-free mac and cheese recipe in their culinary arsenal?  I haven't gotten to it yet because, of course, my littlest H came down with the flu this week, and we were all forced to eat quesadillas.   Que sera sera.


1 comment:

  1. This looks delish! Want this recipe and the Mac and cheese one!!

    ReplyDelete