16.6.13

Daddy's Day

Today is Father's Day.  Probably like many of you out there who have lost your father, this day is a bittersweet one for me.  On the bitter side, of course, is that I am reminded of how much I miss my beloved Daddy.  But there's more sweet than bitter; I love the opportunity to remember my amazing daddy and, what's more, to celebrate my husband, who is an incredible father.  In honor of two of my favorites, here are some of ways our family is celebrating today:

Cool cards, like this one that we sent to Dallin's dad earlier this week.  I know we live in the age of Skype and Snapchat, but one thing I learned from my father was how to write a real letter.  And nothing beats the perfect card, especially when it is indeed for one very cool pop.


Card by Hearts Grow Fonder
Available on Etsy

"From mail room to board room," as my dad would always say.  Here is the tie that my little H made for her Daddy at church today.  Very chic.  She has also been modeling it for him this afternoon.  I'm not sure who it looks better on.




Old photos.  A daddy/daughter nap, circa 1983, loving every minute of an afternoon snuggle.  My Daddy was a man of few words; he didn't say much unless he really had something to say, so I learned to appreciate moments of silence shared in complete comfort.  Like when we drove across country together to bring my old Volvo out to LA when I was in college; we listened to a LOT of CDs and shared time together I will always treasure.




New photos.  I love that Harper is Daddy's girl; after all, it takes one to know one.  Here is Harper, with Dallin, after a visit to the doctor's and in desperate need of some Daddy love.  It's cool, I totally get it.



Red velvet whoopie pies: my attempt at making Dallin a Father's Day treat.  I say attempt because there are a few things that I learned in the process...  As it turns out, I should read directions before starting a baking project to make sure I have all the ingredients and tools necessary.  For instance, one needs a whoopie pie pan when making whoopie pies.  In the absence of said whoopie pie pan, a muffin tin will work--but maybe not quite as well.  Fortunately, Instagram (what one of my besties calls "the beer goggles of life") makes everything look prettier.  Here's to hoping they taste good too!



Found notes, like this one from my Daddy.  He wrote this to me after he was diagnosed with lung cancer and was going through chemo and radiation.  Despite the physical toll this process was taking on his body, he found the time to sketch out designs with me--cupcakes, ice cream cones, candy...  All the sweet things that inspired my lolly.brand line.  I am grateful to fathers like mine, who inspire their children to dream.  There are so many ways that he lives on.




On Facebook today, there were countless pictures fathers, as well as status updates paying tribute.  I have to admit, it made me a little sad, wistful perhaps, I wasn't celebrating with my own father.  But a while ago, I decided that I would do my best to celebrate my father's life, rather than to mourn his passing.  This day, I have done just that, showing gratitude to the fathers in my life and appreciation for the examples that they are to their children.  I am blessed to know some seriously amazing guys.  And speaking of which, Dallin enjoyed his red velvet whoopie pie, and Harper did too.  Like father, like daughter...  And so it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment