4.6.13

Summer Things

With Memorial Day weekend come and gone and Boston temperatures over 90 degrees for three consecutive days this past week, I think it's fair to say that summer is here.  Some years, I feel like summer comes and goes without me having the chance to acknowledge or even properly appreciate it.  I resolve that this year will be different.  I have grand plans for beach days, delicious summer menus on the grill, and summer fashions.  Here are 5 of the things that I'm already excited about:


Glitter Nail Color
in Candy Shop, $19
by Deborah Lippmann
Available at Nordstrom

Nail care is a crucial part of the summer, and today I finally had the opportunity to get a much-needed mani/pedi.  Now I'm feeling far more summer-ready.  And speaking of summer nails, while I don't yet have this amazing nail lacquer from Deborah Lippmann in my collection, I'll stress the yet because I'm thinking it is a must.  Growing up, I was obsessed with the game Candy Land, particularly with the character Queen Frostine who I felt was my game character doppelganger.  This polish is like Candy Land for grown-ups, a light pink with candy colored glitter flecks throughout.  Let's be real, this is a party for your nails, and after finally seeing The Great Gatsby this weekend, I am ready for parties AND glitter.


Peach Bruschetta with Ricotta and Prosciutto
Recipe thanks to Williams-Sonoma

When I look at the Williams-Sonoma catalog, I genuinely want to be more domestic.  Of course, life always seems to get in the way, and we wind up eating quesadillas or cereal most nights.  Summer resolution?  I will make this peach bruschetta with ricotta and prosciutto.  According to WS, it involves 15 minutes of prep and 15 minutes of cook-time.  Now that is a timeline I can commit to!  Plus, doesn't this picture make you want it to eat it, like NOW?  Here's the recipe so you can:

Ingredients:
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
4 slices country-style bread, each about 1/2 inch thick
1/3 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 large peaches, pitted and each cut into 12 slices
6 Tbs. ricotta cheese, lightly seasoned with kosher salt
3 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto
1 1/2 oz. arugula
Maldon sea salt for sprinkling



Directions:
-In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the vinegar to a simmer and simmer until reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool.
-Preheat a panini press on the “sear” setting according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Generously brush both sides of the bread slices with the 1/3 cup olive oil. Working in 2 batches, place the bread on the panini press, close the lid and lock the top of the press so the bread is not being compressed. Cook until browned on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
-Working in 2 batches, arrange the peach slices on the panini press, close the lid and cook until the peaches are nicely marked on both sides, about 2 minutes.
-Spread 1 1/2 Tbs. cheese on each bread slice. Drape the prosciutto on top, dividing evenly, and top with the peach slices. Put the arugula in a small bowl and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Top the bruschetta with the arugula. Drizzle with the reduced vinegar and sprinkle with Maldon sea salt. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Lounging poolside with my girl

Lounging poolside.  Okay, for us, that means Harper's little pool in our backyard.  On Friday afternoon (day 2 of aforementioned 90 degree temperatures), like most Bostonians, I was beyond hot.  Not even day 2 of ice cream treats offered sufficient cooling, and that's when you know you're in trouble.  So we decided it was time to break ground on our swimming pool--and obviously we went with the top-of-the-line kidney-shaped pool!  That's just how we roll in the Wilson family.  Seriously, sitting inside that tiny pool with my sweet girl was exactly what I needed.  I have a feeling it was perhaps the best summer investment ever made.  Oh, and Harper's watering can to go with it, of course.



Printed Tee-Shirt Dress
in Egyptian Turquoise, $35
by Diane von Furstenberg for babyGap
Wishes really do come true!  One of my favorite fashion icons, Diane von Furstenberg, did another limited collection for babyGap and Gap Kids this year.  Her Explorers Collection features graphic prints in bright, cheerful colors that are fun and youthful.  Obvi, I couldn't resist getting something for little H.  It was hard to pick just one, but Harper just had to have this printed tee-shirt dress.  Is it wrong to want one in my size too?

Lululemon hits the tennis court!  Until today I had NO idea that Lulu did tennis wear.  Fortunately, my super stylish friend, Aimee, filled me in--and how cute is this Hot Hitter Dress?!  I played tennis during my middle school years but haven't been on the tennis court since, and lately I have really been wanting to get back to it.  What appeals to me about tennis is that it is a sport you can play forever.  My grandmother played until she was in her late 70s; how great is that?  Of course, the fashion doesn't hurt either; who doesn't love tennis whites?  Especially from Lulu, with irresistible design coupled with amazing moisture-wicking, breathable fabric.  Now, to get back on the court...  


Hot Hitter Dress in Aquamarine/White, $98
by Lululemon

The first official day of summer isn't until June 21, but it feels like summer is already upon us.  With my newly painted nails and fashion and culinary inspiration, now all I need is a tan!  



2 comments:

  1. SO many things to comment here. Love the Candyland inspired polish. Marjorie and I want to come "swim" at your house with you guys. Aren't you grateful for Aimee to keep us hip? Seriously love her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, next sunny day we need to have a little pool party!! And between you and Aimee, I feel like I'm going to be a much more stylish girl. Seriously, love you girls!

    ReplyDelete