12.8.13

summer update part 2


Last month, after an embarrassing update, I promised I would have at least three more items crossed off my summer bucket list at the beginning of August.  Since we are now forging into the middle of the month, I felt like I should make good on my promise.  Here's where I stand...

My husband (on the left), making me the perfect s'more.

I am obsessed with s'mores right now.  In fact, did you know that this past Saturday was National S'mores Day?  I actually didn't discover that fun fact until Sunday, but at least my obsession is a timely one.  I've had the chance to enjoy s'mores on several occasions in the last month.  The best was definitely the traditional version, enjoyed around an outdoor fire with family and friends at my mom's house in Western MA.  With Harper on my lap, my obliging husband was the one who actually made my s'mores (yes, I ate two), and he has basically perfected the art.  Thanks to the life-changing powers of Pinterest, I have also learned about and successfully recreated a version of s'mores that doesn't require a camp fire.  Behold, the s'mores bite; I know that s'mores sans fire sounds blasphemous, but these are pretty darn close to the real thing.  If you don't believe me, just try them:

Yet another reason I love Pinterest: s'mores bites

Ingredients:
-6 graham cracker sheets
-6 large marshmallows
-12 Hershey’s Kisses, unwrapped


Directions:
-Break graham cracker sheets in half.

-Cut each marshmallow in half.
-Heat oven to Low Broil.
-Align graham crackers in the center of a cookie sheet about 1/2″ apart from each other.
-Top each graham cracker with a marshmallow with the cut/sticky side down.
-Place marshmallow-topped graham crackers under broiler.  Don't walk away!  Watch them, as they will toast quickly, allow to toast until marshmallows are golden.
-Once golden, immediately remove from oven, and place 1 Hershey's Kiss in the center of each toasted marshmallow and gently press down.  
Yum.

It is indeed possible I have been eating so many s'mores in a desperate attempt to ignore the fact that I'm turning 30 this month.  I've been trying to adjust my attitude though, since the truth of the matter is that aging is a gift that not everyone is able to enjoy.  I haven't actively been planning the party of the century or anything, but I feel like my "perfect 30th birthday" is totally within reach, with my birth month off to a fabulous start.  On Saturday, my lovely sister treated me to lunch at one of my favorite restaurants, followed by window shopping, and then an indulgent spa facial.  It feels a little symbolic that I've shed a layer of skin (okay not really--but exfoliation counts) to greet a new decade.  Regardless, sister spa time was a truly incredible birthday gift--and my skin feels amazing.  Also amazing was the watermelon mint cooler I had at lunch, which I am now inspired to recreate at home.

Watermelon Cooler at The Cottage in Wellesley, MA

In fact, home creations just might be the theme of this month.  I have been wanting to redo our bedroom for a while now.  The décor just isn't working for us; it is dark and, despite our best design attempts when we moved in three years ago, just misses the mark.  At the top of my "must have" list is space-saving storage, and to that end, I have been coveting an amazing storage bed from Pottery Barn that is simply not within our budget.  So my handyman husband found the plans online and began construction this weekend; I am nervous but excited to see how it will turn out.  I have given him a pretty tight deadline of two weeks so only time will tell!  Also part of the bedroom redo is a new color scheme palette.  Right now, blue is our central color, but we're trying to move in a softer direction--perhaps a light grey, maybe accented by a pale aqua...  We have nothing set in stone yet, as the bed is taking precedence, but I am looking forward to the finished product.

So here's the official report:

Reread The Great Gatsby (my favorite summer book) 
  • Hoping to accomplish this while I'm off work next week...
Finally complete Harper's baby book (she is going on 2, after all)
  • Planning to finally order prints tonight!
Make s'mores around an outdoor fire
  • Done--and yum!
Redo my bedroom décor
  • A work in progress!
Explore a New England beach I haven't been to before
  • On the calendar for this weekend with some of my besties--another early birthday celebration!
Finally have a picnic with my amazing cousin before she moves 
  • Hopefully this week?
Go for long summer walks (a favorite pastime)
  • A walk is not the same thing as walks so clearly I'm still working on this one...  Fortunately for me, the temperatures have been lovely this month so far--so let's leave it at "to be continued."
Do more yoga
  • Haven't been back to class yet...  Le sigh.
Eat fiddleheads while they're in season
  •  Impossible (poor time management)
Plan my perfect 30th birthday in the absence of Chanel (tick tock!)
  • A work in progress...

I still have a lot of work to do, but I'm feeling much, much better about my progress this time around.  Things weren't looking good for me for a moment there, but I'm grateful that I actually put my summer goals in writing so that I can truly hold myself accountable.  Thankfully now it's all happening!  Stay tuned for the final report...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment