25.4.14

watch me!


Cartel in Rose Gold
by Rockwell Watches
Never say that guys can't teach you anything about fashion.  I'm relatively new to the world of watches, but I have come to appreciate the watch as a valuable accessory, thanks to a few of my more fashion forward male colleagues.  You see, men have far fewer options when it comes to accessorizing in the corporate environment.  After all, one suit looks like the next--but ties, socks, and especially watches really set a guy apart. In fact, one of my best guy friends has a dozen statement watches, and by example has taught me that the right timepiece can totally complete a look.  

As a woman, of course, I don't lack for options when it comes to accessories, but a watch is something different.  As a piece of jewelry that serves fashion and function, it has become a valuable part of my arm candy and overall look too.  Oh, and it tells time--added bonus.

My new favorite: the Cartel by Rockwell Watches in rose gold.  Seriously, I'm obsessed.  If you're not familiar with Rockwell, you should be.  I personally love large face watches for their statement power, and Rockwell takes it to the next level.  You should see some of the huge watches they have for the guys in your life!  But I digress...  The Cartel is one of their medium styles, which is more than enough on a woman's arm.  It is available in a number of styles, but I especially love the rose gold for its versatility.  As a self-proclaimed fashionista, turned working mama, versatility is mandatory.  If I am going to invest in an outfit or an accessory, my rule of thumb is that it needs to work in a range of settings; this watch does just that.  Watch me:


1.  Dressed down mama: Marathon Monday was the most gorgeous day of the year so far here in Boston, and so I simply had to get the littles out of the house to enjoy the sun and fresh air.  We decided on a picnic at the sculpture park with some friends, and our artsy field trip called for a boho chic outfit, of course. Clothes: orange denim, a chambray shirt, a hair scarf, and flip flops (hallelujah for nice weather!).  Arm candy: the Cartel, lotus seed mala beads, and a DIY Burberry fabric wrap bracelet.  I love mixing materials and textures, and so the combination of metal, wood, and fabric creates a softer, funky look that I love for casual days.


2.  Corporette: I work in finance, and since our clients are typically more conservative, so is our office dress code.  But I love a challenge.  A pop of color or a bold pattern (preferably both!) make my army of pencil skirts, Tippy sweaters, and Reva flats far more interesting--as do my carefully selected accessories.  Clothes: patterned pencil skirt, black sweater, and black patent leather flats.  Arm candy: the Cartel.  Some opt to remove a link or two from their watch band to make it fit just right, but I like mine worn loose so that it's more like a bracelet than an ordinary watch.  Can we call it a watchlet??  Is that a thing???  Whatever the case, this watch is cool enough to be worn all by itself.

Photograph by Peter Frailey

3.  Girl on the go: Like many working moms out there, I wear a lot of hats.  Okay, so maybe not hats so much, but definitely shoes!  Many days, I go from work to home, and then sometimes out again; I love that my new watch can go with me!  Last weekend, after a family Easter egg hunt on Saturday morning, I waved goodbye to my husband and kids and dashed out the door for some much needed girl time: mani/pedis, a late lunch, and a little shopping with one of my favorite fashionista friends.  Clothes: distressed denim, white tee, and grey Toms.  Arm candy: the Cartel and a mix of silver and gold Alex and Ani bangles.  The rose gold watch works perfectly if you like mixing metals (I do)--and as it turns out, looks amazing with white Shellac polish too. 

One watch, three ways--and counting...  Watch me!

No comments:

Post a Comment