5.5.14

what i love about mondays


What I love about Mondays?  Okay, not much.   But one of my personal goals at the moment is to feel more grateful, complain less, and generally be a more positive me.  So with that sentiment in mind, here are a five things that are making me happy on my least favorite day of the week:

1.  Boston Strong.  My limited edition Boston Strong bracelet arrived in the mail from Rue La La!  As a born and bred Boston girl, pride in my home town runs deep my blood.  Last year, after the tragic bombing at the Boston Marathon, Boston Strong took on new meaning for me--and the rest of this amazing city.  I was beyond excited when Rue La La (a Boston business, if you didn't know!) announced their partnership with Alex and Ani for this limited edition bracelet.  100% of the net proceeds from sales of this bracelet support the One Fund Boston.  Tough.  Proud.  Strong.  Love love love.



2.  Eat cookies for breakfast.  So what if another personal goal is to lose 5 pounds and tone my abs for beach season?  This chocolate oatmeal raisin cookie recipe from my girl Martha was too tempting to resist.  Harper and I baked yesterday afternoon, and we added a twist on the recipe by mixing butterscotch, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate chips into the batter instead of plain old semisweet.  I mean, you gotta live a little, am I right?  Which is why I also feel that it is okay to eat a cookie for breakfast.  Or four.


3.  Remember where you come from.  With Mother's Day approaching, my mother and the many women who inspire me have been on my mind.  My grandmother, who will turn 93 later this month, is one of the most amazing women I have ever known.  The things she has seen and done during her lifetime are enough to take your breath away.  Her example helps me realize that I have a long way to go, and I hope I can make the journey with the same grace, poise, and tenacity that she has.  She recently shared this photograph with me (she is the little girl in the center holding that precious little dog), and I fell in love with the snapshot of her life--and America--at a different time.


4.  I dream of Louis.  Earlier this year, when I had just returned to work after having my sweet baby boy, I was having a difficult time juggling the demands of work and home--and also trying to avoid feeling like a hot mess.  One of my coworkers challenged me to do something just for me--to settle on a goal I could work towards over time.  For some, this could be something heroic like trying to change the world.  But as a firm believer in and subscriber of retail therapy, this meant starting a bag fund.  So now I stuff wads of cash under my mattress and dream of Louis Vuitton.  Just kidding!!!  But I am saving my money instead of falling prey to little purchases here and there, in hopes that I will be able to buy myself a fabulous new handbag by the end of the year.  It is an exercising in saving, willpower, and--best of all--fashion.  I'm visualizing a classy future like this:


Of course, my reality will probably look more like this:


But a fabulous bag makes everything look good, right?  That's what I'm banking on.  

Have a great week, friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment