23.7.10

Fall Fashion Preview: Military Madness

With the hot summer days dragging, what has kept me going lately is...the air conditioning (sad but true). So in order to preserve my sanity and maintain my priorities (fashion!), I've been doing a bit of wishful thinking and looking ahead to fall. I have to tell you, the fashion forecast will make you mad for military--and I mean that in the best way possible. This fall, military chic will be everywhere, and the designers we know and love have truly outdone themselves. So without further ado, how about a little sneak peek?

It's better in leather: Probably my favorite fall item so far is the Heirloom Arturo jacket; not surprisingly, it's also amongst the latest and greatest from one of my favorite designers, Diane von Furstenberg. And DvF nails every detail of this military-inspired leather jacket, from its commanding structure to the eight brass buttons down the front. If I told you I salivated a little when I first laid eyes on this quintessential statement piece, would you judge me?

A woman in uniform? Don't mind if I do! Especially when the uniform in question is a classic army green, conjuring an "army surplus" aesthetic that is as functional as it is edgy. Made of a comfortable stretch cotton to boot, this dress features an off-center zipper, structured collar, and drawstring tie waist that accentuates the feminine elements of military chic.

Take it literally: Not that I needed another reason to anxiously anticipate the fall collections, but my love of all things camo print has been fully disclosed countless times before. Once again, the key to camo is balance; because the print is so bold in and of itself, it's most effective (and most high fashion) when applied to classic looks. For precisely this reason, I'm in love with these camo print flats from Michael Kors' KORS collection. The traditional ballet flat style gets a fierce makeover, with a camouflage printed leather upper that will add a hint of military madness to any outfit. I'm thinking: these flats, plus a pair of dark skinny jeans with a white tee= classic. Of course, if you're in the mood to spice up your 9 to 5, why not wear them with a basic yet elegant black suit?

The best part of this fashion forecast? There's SO much more to see--and if you can't hardly wait, thanks to the miracle of pre-sales, some of these style goodies are available now. But for those of you who can be patient, it will be worth the wait; military madness will soon abound. While some may lament the end of summer, believe me when I tell you that your wardrobe will be grateful for the upcoming season. After all, who needs a silver lining when you can have camo print, brass buttons, and army green?


Images, in order of appearance: (1) Heirloom Arturo leather jacket $875 by Diane von Furstenberg, available from Bloomingdales (http://www.bloomingdales.com/); (2) Uniform Stretch Cotton Dress $295 from Marc by Marc Jacobs, also available at Bloomingdales; (3) Olympia Ballet Flats $185 from KORS Michael Kors, also available at Bloomingdales.

No comments:

Post a Comment