5.10.11

Welly Socks

My rainboots are one of my favorite things.  I was gifted a pair of red Hunter wellies last year, and their cheerful color and durable rubber design makes any rainy day that much brighter.  But as an east coast girl, when the temperature starts to drop, I need a little bit more than rubber boots to keep my feet warm--and I've often traded in my Hunters for whatever Ugg design (or two...) I might be sporting that season.  Call me slow to the party, but I didn't realize that stylishly arming my Hunters against the elements was also an option.  Hello, amazing welly socks!

While shopping at Nordstrom on a recent rainy night, their Hunter display caught my eye (oh, those clever visual merchandisers!).  A cable sock in a classic cream color was peering over the top of pair of red Hunter boots just like mine.  Upon closer inspection, I recognized a new style for Hunter's own welly socks.  I was familiar with their basic fleece boot liner, but I never invested in a pair, feeling that they lacked a certain je ne sais quois (that's what I meant before about stylishly arming my Hunters against plummeting temperatures).  But these cable liners were different--or, more accurately, the "Basketweave" sock, which features a classic knit cuff atop their standard fleece welly sock


"Basketweave" Sock in cream by Hunter, $40
Available from Nordstrom

In addition to the cream color that I went for, the Basketweave is available in pink, cream, khaki green, charcoal, and black so you're guaranteed to find the right sock to accent whatever color welly boot you fancy.  Personally, I also really love the charcoal so I'm going to have to keep those in mind as a potential future purchase.  But color aside, in my view, it's all about the knit cuff, which folds over the top of your boot and adds a bit of timeless prep to your step.  Plus, they keep your tootsies warm--and you all know how much I love form and function.  I have to admit, I was actually a little disappointed to wake up to clear skies this morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment