2.7.13

may the 4th be with you

It's July--what?!  Seriously, how did that happen so quickly?  This week has been amazing though; with the 4th on Thursday this year, I only had to work TWO days this week.  I could really get used to that sort of schedule.  My little family is looking forward to celebrating Independence Day, grilling with friends and enjoying time together as a family.  Here are a few pieces of Americana that have me feeling festive this week:

Movita Beaucoup Peach Cobbler
Peach pie.  We were asked to bring a dessert to our friends' 4th of July BBQ, and like any good domestic goddess wannabe, you know I immediately consulted Pinterest for culinary inspiration.  While the red, white, and blue cakes and fruit confections are absolutely classic, I feel like it doesn't get more all-American than peach cobbler.  Harper, Dallin, and I hit the market earlier this evening to gather our supplies, and now I couldn't be more excited to try this recipe from Movita Beaucoup:

For the filling-
4 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches (about 8 or 9 peaches)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon flour

For the crust-
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon brown sugar, for topping
whipped cream or ice cream for serving (optional)

To prepare:
-Preheat the oven to 425
-Combine all dry ingredients for cobbler crust in a bowl, and set aside.
-Generously grease a 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish. Place the sliced peaches in the dish and sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and flour. Mix gently and spread evenly in the baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
-While the peaches are cooking, cut the butter into the awaiting dry crust ingredients with a pastry cutter or your fingers, to make the texture like coarse crumbs. Add the buttermilk and stir to form a soft dough.
-Remove the peach mixture from oven and drop rounded spoonfuls of dough on top. Then sprinkle the top of your cobbler with the remaining tablespoon of brown sugar, and return to oven. Bake until the fruit is bubbly and crust topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes. 
-Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.  Yum!

Girl's Milleraies Striped Tee in gitan/ecume, $22.50
by Petit Bateau

Patriotic stripes.  Harper's Grammy Sue surprised her on Monday with this special tee from Petit Bateau to wear on the 4th, and it has taken all my willpower to wait for the grand debut.  Granted, Petit Bateau isn't exactly classically American, but let's be honest, it doesn't get much cuter or more patriotic than red and white stripes.  Perhaps my favorite detail is the little bow at the neck (the neckline and bow on Harper's tee are white instead of the red shown here).  As a side note, the Petit Bateau store on Newbury Street in Boston is closing at the end of this week.  This means that we have recently purchased some amazing Petit Bateau swag at even more amazing sale prices--but I am absolutely heartbroken to see it go.  Anyway... My vision: this tee, paired with little H's chambray shorts, and her red, white, and blue hair bow...hello, Miss American Pie!

Butler Please, $7.79
by Essie
Available from Target
Starry nails.  I was super bummed to miss viewing The Bachelorette with some of my favorite girlies this week, particularly as our TV night was also a patriotic nail painting party!  Sigh.  Nonetheless, I'm doing my best to nail it on my own this time, thanks to Essie's Butler Please, a nail color recommendation from my fashion icon friend, Aimee, who has it on her toes as I type this.  Called an "indulgent, bright blue," I'm totally loving it.  This blue is peppy, patriotic, and even a little nautical.  After another trip down the Pinterest rabbit hole, I've been inspired to take my nail painting party to the next level and to try this polished version of star spangled, using the reverse color scheme, all blue with one red (not just any red but Essie's Lollipop, another summer fave).  Pictures to follow!

Pinterest inspiration: 4th of July nails

From peach pie to stars and stripes, I'm looking forward to celebrating tomorrow.  I feel like I would be remiss if I didn't express my appreciation for living in the land of the free and the home of the brave--and for those men and women that have made those blessings possible.  Happy 4th of July--and may the 4th be with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment