15.5.09

Harem: Haute or Not? (Episode 3: The Verdict)

When harem pants first returned to the runway some time ago, I cringed, vowing to myself that I would definitely NOT be embracing this look. Then I began to wonder if my reaction was my typical "I fear change" knee-jerk response, the same way I initially responded to skinny jeans, leggings, and pointy-toed shoes. I mean, the runway models rock it out pretty well. Then again, they are the female version of unicorns, and for this reason they can pull of styles that would fail miserably in everyday life. So, my little lovelies, this is how we find ourselves at Love It or Loathe It, Episode 3: the harem pants question... Haute or not???

All in favor, say I:
  • If they are understated and tasteful then they are a fashion DO.

  • I love and covet them, but they are a don't unless you are a hundred feet fall and 6 pounds and straight as a boy. Bottom line: I like, but i don't think I'll buy.

  • LOVE. It's how you wear them, the right fit, quality of material, etc... I own a few pairs already and have worn them to work. I have seen some people wear them and look awful in them. These pants are not meant for everyone.

  • I guess if we're talking high fashion, then yes, a well-placed harem pant can be the perfect addition to a fitted tank and feminine scarf or accessories. Pair it with a Greek sandal, we're in business.
  • As a big-bottomed girl, I like them, they flow. Not tight, fun, often more colorful, and leave lots to imagination-- and I think that is often more feminine than a full platter in your face.

While I hoped this blog would safely avoid the discussion of bodily functions, apparently the discussion of harem pants made that impossible. Consider yourself warned. That said, let's give some air time to the best of those opposed:

  • HUGE don't... It looks like you pooped yourself and no one has come along to change you yet!

  • They're very MC Hammer-esque, which I'm not a fan of. Of course, there are ways to make them work--especially with certain body types--but for the majority I'd say it's a thumbs down... I'm not a fan of the baggy.
  • DON'T!!!! Why wear pants that look as though you've pooped in them?

  • Fashion don't! They're more like MC Hammer pants! I don't think anyone can pull this off!

  • If we're talking anywhere stylistically below 5th Avenue or Newbury Street, then that's not something I want to see. I don't want to see suburban women in the Burlington Mall (or worse, in the Pheasant Lane, Trashua) wearing ill-fitting harem pants purchased at Target (don't get me wrong, I love Target, but for this sensitively fitting garment, the quality just won't be there) paired with a stained Patriots sweatshirt. No thank you.

  • ONLY when on vacation in Africa or Southeast Asia.

  • Consider whether or not it would be something that Audrey Hepburn would wear. An appropriate style icon, to be sure. Audrey wore sleek, well-fitted garments that accentuated her shape, it didn't create shapes that weren't there. Therein lies the flaw in the harem pant. Fashion oughtn't exist in attention-demanding, but rather in the seamless illusion that clothes can create.

Probably the funniest point with regard to harem pants question was made by fellow blogstar, Lizzie, appropriately quoting the music selection from Disney's Aladdin: Prince Ali! Fabulous he! Ali Ababwa... Genuflect, show some respect! Down on one knee!...



I've clearly failed in remaining unbiased in this discussion, but I think it's fair to say that any apparel selection hinting of Aladdin and/or Jasmine should be put back on the rack, unless it's Halloween. That said, my conclusion is this: harem pants, SO NOT HAUTE!!! Just say no.






Harem pants from Balmain's Fall 2009 collection, posted by Rag Pony, another fierce fashion blog, online at http://ragpony.blogspot.com/. Imagine from Disney's Aladdin, available online at www.disney.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment