4.5.09

Desperately Wanting to Say "YES!" to A Dress

In preparation for the Museum of Fine Arts Summer Party this June, I spent Saturday afternoon at the Natick Collection with the girls, searching for the perfect gown for this black-tie gala. After 6 hours (fortunately including a tasty dinner at the Met), my legs were stiff and my hands sadly shopping-bag-less. Either I am far more high maintenance than I originally thought (not outside the realm of possibility) or the options are simply lacking.

While I will be the first to admit that I can be difficult to please, it's a sad day when Neiman Marcus lets me down. What is the world of fashion coming to?! My biggest complaint was not the quantity of the options but the QUALITY. Backless, strapless, slits, cut-outs, itty-bitty skirts, and plunging bust lines... I'm horrified to admit that modesty has been taken off the table. In my humble opinion, a black-tie event calls for some semblance of respect--both for oneself and one's surroundings.

While I still pine over the DvF Palma Dress, I am forced to wait for the price to drop for the fashionista on a budget. In the meantime, like the (wannabe) practical girl that I strive to be, I searched for Plan B--having no idea that my dream look was the unicorn of black-tie gowns! All I wanted was a long, flowing boho-chic goddess-y dress with fluttery cap sleeves and a fun but unique print. Is not wanting to look like I stepped out of the Jessica McClintock catalog too much to ask?

My saving grace was the trusty J. Crew website, where I sought refuge in the dress collection. And viola!--the Milla Gown.

The regal print heralds from one of Italy's top couture mills, only enhanced by the fluttering cap sleeves and floor-length silouette. J. Crew has really impressed me with this gown, and I feel like maybe my fairy-gown-mother has found me after all...

I'll have to see it (the computer screen just doesn't do a gown justice) to believe it, so please stay tuned for the next installment of my gown-seeking adventures, as I am desperately wanting to say "yes!" to a dress. T minus one month and seven days to go...


Image of the Museum of Fine Arts Boston from the MFA website: http://www.mfa.org/; Milla Gown from the J. Crew Collection, $495; available online at www.jcrew.com.

1 comment: