22.9.09

My Sister's Closet: Functional Fierce

In the past couple of weeks, I have spent a good deal of time on my family's farm in Western Massachusetts. Out there, life is quieter and the required wardrobe much simpler. I realized how refreshing this was during a rainstorm two weeks ago when I found myself living beneath the waterproof comfort of my orange North Face rain jacket.

Okay, so maybe North Face isn't typically what you would call "fierce," but I confess that I'm sort of in love with all-weather practicality. In fact, donning my J Brand skinny jeans, a flannel shirt, and my North Face rain jacket and boots, I almost felt cute--in a "you could be a farmer in those clothes" sort of way. There is certainly something to be said for simplicity.

I have to admit, my sister was onto this utilitarian trend long before I was. You might think it's because she goes to school in Maine, but the truth is, she was riding the all-weather train waaay back in high school and maybe even middle school. You name it, it's in her closet--from the North Face to Patagonia to Arteryx. Though, I have a few choice items in my closet too, it's nothing compared to the likes of the lovely Annie. And she wears it all with such irresistable class that I'm surprised I didn't cop her smart New England style long ago. Better late than never, right?

Having learned my lesson and finally giving credit to practicality (gasp!), I recently found myself perusing the North Face selection online--and was surprised to realize that it's actually possible to marry function with fierce. It comes in the form of the North Face Animagi Jacket, with all the warmth and weather resistance of your standard North Face gear--yet with a shiny, quilted bodice and uber long sleeves--and made of recycled fiber, to boot!


With the cold weather months ahead, I feel a bit liberated in my fashion choices--and plan on an equally fierce--yet much warmer--winter wardrobe. Of course, I still subscribe to the notion that, quite often, beauty is pain. How can you not when your closet is already packed with 4+ inch heels? But, if nothing else, at least I know that I have functional fierce options...



Images, in order of appearance: (1) farm, photo by me; (2) Women's Murcado Boot by the North Face $120 (online at http://www.thenorthface.com/); (3) Animagi Jacket by the North Face $149, available from Nordstrom (http://www.nordstrom.com/).

No comments:

Post a Comment