30.9.09

Dispatch from Across the Pond

As a newly minted expat freshly arrived in the British Isles for a year of graduate study, I've spent the past few weeks constantly exploring my new environs. I've extensively checked out everything from grocery stores to open air markets and major shopping thoroughfares, and have been thoroughly distracted from countless tasks by the constant parade of fascinating people ripe for the watching- especially the slew of stylish ladies.

In the two weeks since I've arrived in London, I've concluded- conclusively- that there is one universal truth about these British girls: they are so, way, vastly much cooler than I am and will or can ever be. Its like there is some sort of genetic variant, some unlikely mutation affecting every single female between the ages of approximately 12 and 50, at which point style appears to entirely drop off.

I think it would be impossible for me to accurately capture, chronicle, or assess the characteristics that distinguish and define these incredibly creative, clever, and genius creatures (sensory overload, inadequate adjectives, and a general lack of fluency in the requisite vocabulary); suffice to say that the breadth of style options is seemingly boundless. These girls are peerless- AND fearless- in their inventiveness. Unlike in New York City, where I've spent the majority of the past ten years, London ladies are not universally decked out in a uniform, TBD each season (when I left, rompers, bangs, hipster glasses, and Keds were fairly de rigeur). There's a greater diversity of options. There are also at least two distinct (and distinctly awesome) categories of chic: professional women dressed for work, and what I'll call street style- your average 20-something woman decked out for the rest of life (Or maybe she's going to work- who am I to say?).

With all qualifications now on the record, here are five things I've noticed so far:

1. Steal Clothes
This approach is a perennial favorite- raid a boy's closet. A lot of the fall trends suggest co-opting more traditionally masculine styles- oxfords, wingtip shoes, plaids, sharply tailored clothes, even the semi-ubiquitous pegged trousers have a hint of man-tailoredness to them. Taking it one step beyond boyfriend blazers and slouchy t-shirts, I've seen girls here rocking everything from boy's shoes to boys sweatpants to ties and suspenders. There's something distinctly feminine about wearing at least a single piece of clothing that is vastly oversized.

2. Mess Up Your Hair
I am crazy about London hair. The heavy bang has been a staple of New York coiffure for at least a year and a half, and its a trend that is going strong here as well. However, other options abound. These ladies know how to tease the bejesus out of their hair. Side braids are absolutely everywhere, but really messy and disheveled ones. Big, almost frizzy buns are also all over the place. And fancy Amy Winehouse-style beehives (complete with those amazing cat eyes, natch) pepper the High Street crowds.

3. Wear Flats
As a major lover of shoes, I've long held the belief that all cosmopolitan creatures love heels. The higher the heel, the sharper, the pointier, the more obscene, the better. I have had a major revelation in the past fourteen days, and that revelation is that London is a city of flats. Ballet flats, Chucks, Docs, flat boots, mocassins, pointy toed flats- these women walk everywhere and for once, their footwear reflects the adage of form following function. But they absolutely don't compromise on style; I've made endless lists practically every day of enviable and unique heelless options. Brits know how to make a hot flat, which is good, because I have a lengthy daily commute ahead of me- on foot.

4. Tights and Leggings
One major look I've noticed everywhere I go has been the very short cutoffs over tights, a nod to the days of grunge if there ever was one. When I started to notice the frequency of this ensemble, I started to pay closer attention to legs, and I have decided that London is OBSESSED with black leggings. I think this must be particularly marked, because in New York you have to practically climb a tree in Central Park to avoid falling over six black-legged girls, but it seems absolutely universal here. Crazy tights- in colors and patterns- are also in abundant evidence. This will undoubtedly become very welcome shortly, when it gets cold and wet for eight months.

5. Go Crazy
I follow some really great street style blogs. When I stop to think about what looks jump out at the photographers, and to think about what captivates my attention either in a look on a blog or on a woman on the street, I've started to realize that the most compelling looks are often the wildest. Think striped minidress with bright tights and a different bright tone of shoe. Think giant hair, giant glasses, fur coat, and leggings. Think wifebeater and giant silk harem pants. Think color, bold shapes, mixing of patterns; think breaking rules. What I am drawn to is a redefinition of rules, permutations of pieces that I would never in a million years have considered. London ladies are not afraid to take major style risks, to try the unexpected, to wear extremely cutting edge clothes- and to wear them with confidence and joy. There's an artistry and a bit of defiance about London style, and it makes the girls more remarkable and their clothes more interesting. Like they say, fake it till you make it. Or in this case, fake it till someone takes your photo and puts it on a blog and calls you cool.

I will keep taking notes and will report back as soon as I have more cohesive or prescriptive thoughts to offer. In the meantime, five shots of London street style- the hair series- for your enjoyment. Off to speculate about the Queen's hat collection. Cheerio!









Images: All photographs by Sarah M. Barton.

No comments:

Post a Comment