1.2.11

What My Handbag Says About ME & What Yours Says About YOU...


Joan Rivers once said, "No woman I know could ever be a terrorist. Put a bomb in a Gucci bag? Oh, no way!" Not to suggest that Joan Rivers is the keeper of any sage wisdom or anything, but indeed many of us hold our handbag(s) amongst our dearest possessions and would neverrrr, everrrr voluntarily put them in harm's way. In fact, after reading Meredith Stebbins' article on what our handbags say about us, I have realized that a handbag is much more than an accessory or style accoutrement. Rather, the handbag we carry speaks to our personality, our individual style, the type of person we are, and even the type of person we'd like to be.

In Stebbins' article, a panel of high profile fashionistas--including celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe and handbag designer Rebecca Minkoff--discuss how our bags affect the way others perceive us. In their view, our handbags can put us into one of ten different categories, each with a corresponding price point: (1) the Eternal Prepster; (2) the Upwardly Mobile Do-Gooder; (3) the Lady Who Luxes; (4) the Multitasker; (5) the Brooklyner; (6) the Power Mom; (7) the Pantsuit Executive; (8) the Party Girl; (9) the Early Adopter; and (10) the Hoarder.



When I broached this subject with my sister, she jokingly responded, "Does your handbag say 'I wish I were Chanel?'" So in the interest of full disclosure, I must confess that (sadly) I am not yet carrying my long-dreamed-about Chanel tote (It's the "Grand Shopper"--just in case my fairy godmother and/or knight-in-shining-armor is listening). However, I do adore my soft, black pebbled leather Marc Jacobs bag with all my heart, especially because it was a gift from my adorable husby. According to the professionals, said Marc bag also puts me solidly in the "Multitasker" category: a young gal who wears many hats in addition to her 9-to-5 job favors an expandable bag with many pockets. However, the Louis Vuitton bag I'm currently coveting is so large that it might push me towards full on hoarding, which in the words of Rachel Zoe would mean that I'm rolling with my entire life. Not for nothing, Mary Poppins fit a floor lamp in her bag, and did that make her a hoarder? Nay, I say; it meant that she was prepared. There's a difference. And I still want the Louis.


So, dearest fashionista friends, what do your handbags say about YOU??? Several of you emailed me with a little glimpse into your handbags--and yourselves. It's official: you all have impeccable taste, and your tastes are fabulously different. Such is the beauty of style! Allow me to share my most favorite of your absolutely inspiring responses...
  • My favorite purse is my vintage red Louis Vuitton purse... I love the purse because only the cognoscenti recognize that it is a top quality Louis Vuitton--you can only tell when you are up close looking at the zipper and small buckle and inside. It shows I really am a secret snob. My second favorite purse is a fantastic mango/pink soft leather Trussardi purse my husband bought for me in Italy. It is the perfect purse for me--long strap over the body, big and empty so I can rummage about in it (showing just how secretly disorganized I am). I didn't carry the purse for a long time for fear it would get dirty, but then I decided that it was silly to not use something I loved so much so I carry it about, and now it is filthy, banged up, and so ratty looking that no one realizes just what a treasure it is. So what do my purses say about me? I'm a secret snob and a secretly disorganized mess. It shouldn't be a surprise. I think my hair says the same thing.


  • In communications, we call this phenomenon Impression Management. The theory goes that we do, wear, say, and act are all conscious decisions we are making toward managing how other people see and evaluate us. When I am teaching, I like to carry my large blue Coach bag. It has no labels or tags, but if you know Coach, then you can spot it. I like it because it is attractive, good quality, and tells my students that "I care about look but can also carry a laptop and all of your midterms exam with no trouble!" In my personal life, I tend to change my regular bag every season. Right now I am carrying a black Cole Haan bag. I LOVE it, and I love the look it gives off.


  • Ever the minimalist, I have only two rules about handbags: NO HARDWARE and, certainly, NO LOGOS. I am blinded by even the smallest shiny buckle and have always gravitated to the beautiful shapes that don't turn into last season's forlorn "it" bag. Over the years I have found success with this philosophy at Bottega Veneta, Miu Miu, Anya Hindmarch, Henry Cuir...

  • True story: One morning, my friend and I went to check out a random little vintage shop in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. We got there just as the store was about to open, and the girl unlocking the door let us in even though she had just arrived. As we walked in, I spotted a vintage Vuitton Speedy sitting on a shelf. Obviously, I picked it up and asked how much it cost, expecting it to cost at least a few hundred. The girl said "forty-five," and the only thing i could think to say was"dollars?" Needless to say, I bought it. Although I don't carry it all the time, the speedy is really the perfect bag, and I like having a vintage one. I like the idea that it is imperfect, and that it has a story of its own. Also, it has this really cool strap, which is apparently a discontinued detail, which makes it feel special. Most days, I carry a Longchamp since it can withstand my abuse, and I can chuck everything under the sun into it--but increasingly, the Speedy is my go-to. And what it says about me? I like things that are old, different, customized, or in some way distinctive. I like classics, but I want them to have their own spin, unique details that define them as mine. I like difference.


  • I carry a JPK Paris gold hobo bag, and it says that I like comfort (hobo) with a bit of glam (the gold fabric and buckles). I opted for this style to replace always having my Longchamp--which would, according to Rachel Zoe, make me the Eternal Prepster. Rather, I'm only sometimes a prepster--and always comfy chic.



While it's true that some of the bags we love often come with a premium price tag, I would argue that the expression of self is a worthy investment. In fact, as Coco Chanel once said: Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening. My dearest fashionista friends, I would have to insist that we've got fashion in the bag.


Special thanks to Deb for sharing this article with me! And on that note, click here to re-read Meredith Stebbins' full article, Your Handbag, Your Self.

Fun handbag facts thanks to The Purse Forum (forum.purseblog.com).

Images, in order of appearance: (1) sketch from Daily Candy (http://www.dailycandy.com/); (2) Nicole Richie rocking the Chanel handbag I so desperately love, photo thanks to Personal Shoppers; (3) The Hoarder and (4) The Eternal Prepster, both thanks to Your Handbag, Your Self by Meredith Stebbins, as posted on Bloomberg Business Week (www.businessweek.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment