27.10.09

Style In Spades

Just last week, this fashionista counted herself lucky, with a visit from her favorite Washington-born friend, Annie Rose. A fashionista in her own right, Miss Annie can always be counted on for a shopping date. There are few people about whom I can say this, but I think the lovely Annie Rose enjoys shopping as much as I do! One of the many reasons we're such good friends. But I digress...

With shopping ranking high on our to-do list, we ventured to Newbury Street--where a stop at Kate Spade was absolutely mandatory. Now, let it be known that I could digress further (about how dear Annie also appreciates etiquette a la Kate Spade and all things nautically inspired--a kindred spirit for surrre), but I'll try to stay on track. Inside the store, I felt transported to a well-mannered fashion mecca. From the blatantly Jackie-O inspired dresses, to the irresistibly cute mittens, to the rows upon rows of heels and handbags that I would kill for (were I not a law-abiding lady, of course)--it was an honest miracle that my wallet didn't go up in smoke!
Fortunately, while some Kate Spade fashions can err on the pricier side, as a brand, they are also hip to the times and offer a range of more affordable accessories that also have style in spades. Like tights. Simple? Yes. But this one article can go a loooong way towards polishing and perfecting a look.

Personally, I was immediately drawn to the Tonal Argyle Tights in coral (don't let the name fool you, this color is RED--pure and simple). I wore them just yesterday with a simple black pleated skirt, black cardigan, and black ankle boots. The pop! of color beneath the pleats of my skirt made an otherwise basic outfit so much more. Not for nothing, Kate Spade's tights are "one size" so I was worried that they wouldn't be long enough for all 5 feet and 11 inches of me; fortunately, they are designed to stretch so they would easily fit a petite fashionista as well as a tall girl like myself (sorta makes me understand that whole Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants concept).

If textured tights aren't your thing (gasp!), there are other options. Kate's Solid Opaque Tights come in a bold teal that offers a lovely contrast to the more traditional fall colors. Also, her Drop Needle Tights are made from a comfy cotton/spandex blend and feature a darling polka-dot print. Pick from grey with bright pink dots or brown with soft blue dots; either way, they couldn't be more fun.
Whatever you do, give those boring nude pantyhose a rest already. This season, add some snap to your look (and stay much warmer, added bonus!) with a few go-to pairs of multi-colored/patterned tights. I guarantee it: even if you wore the same black dress every day (not recommended, unless we're talking about The Uniform Project), swapping tights, shoes, and accessories would make you look entirely different. BUT...with great patterns and colors comes great responsibility so use it wisely, little grasshopper.


Psst: Right now, enjoy free shipping on ALL orders from http://www.katespade.com/!
Tonal Argyle Tights $28; Drop Needle Tights $38; both from Kate Spade (http://www.katespade.com/).

No comments:

Post a Comment