12.10.09

Sparkle Bright!

Surprisingly, of all the fashion-related emails I received last week, perhaps the most inspiring came from Free People, reminding me to add a little sparkle. The truth is, sparkle is exactly what I need. Allow me to explain...

Just the other day, while trying to get some work done on the computer, I rewarded myself by simultaneously watching Sex In the City in another window. I was struck by the scene of Carrie running through the icy streets of New York on New Year's Eve, trying to get to Miranda's apartment before midnight. Having watched this movie countless times before, I prepared for my typical response to this scene: Carrie, is it really necessary to pair your pajamas with high-heeled booties and a sequined beanie just to make a mad dash across Manhattan in the middle of the night? However, during this particular viewing, I was surprised by my own reaction. Instead of my usual skepticism, I recognized that there are times when a dash of sparkle can make a bad situation that much brighter.

Clearly, Free People gets this concept (as well as the concept of marketing), and they have taken it one step further by offering up selected bling for your wardrobe. As a girl who shamelessly plays favorites, I predictably have a few:

1. Confetti Sequin Tunic: Over the past year, my sister has been on a quest for the perfect gold sequined dress, and this tunic has her name all over it. Given her supermodel frame, I'm guessing she would rock it much like it's shown in the photo. However, I am less about strappy and more about layers, so I would put a black long sleeved shirt underneath and add a few ropes of pearls to really up the ante.

2. Black Sequin Blazer: My affinity for menswear is no secret so my love for this blinged out blazer should be somewhat obvious. As I've said before, when menswear is worn by a woman, there needs to be that added element of femininity to make it work--and loads of sequins obviously get the job done. At the same time, if there is such a thing as subtlety when the item in question is a fully sequined jacket, because this jacket is black rather than silver or gold, it's a close call; at first glance, all you see is a black blazer, but when you catch the light--pow! In this photo, the model wears faded black skinny jeans with her blazer, but if it were me, I would match it with sleek black suit pants to work the elegance factor.
3. Gemmed Converse: Even fashionistas need to take a break from heels sometimes, and I'm all about my Converse on my days off. While the pair in my closet is your standard black, these bedazzled high-tops add a funky flair to any casual day. These chucks have been hand-embellished with brass nail heads, Swarovski crystal, and glass beads. Now, if Kristen Stewart was going to rock her Converse on the red carpet, she could have at least picked a pair like this!

Oh, thank heavens for bedazzlers! The reality is that we are grown-ups, and life can sometimes get tough. Though the right shoes or the perfect skinny jeans won't cure cancer, sometimes you have to bear it--and it's the little things that can make you smile. So as far as personal disaster preparedness is concerned, when your world begins unraveling, remember to sparkle bright.




Images, in order of appearance: (1) Confetti Sequin Tunic $78, from Free People (www.freepeople.com); (2) Black Sequin Blazer $ 168, also from Free People; (3) Gemmed Converse $128, also from Free People.

No comments:

Post a Comment