26.5.10

3 Flavors of Jelly--With Everything But the Butter & Toast...


While I may simply adore attention, I actually detest unwanted attention. Allow me to explain; attention that I can't control makes me embarrassed and awkward. The root of my social anxiety is kindergarten. My kindergarten class loved to do morning exercises, where the whole class would stand up and "shake out" our energy like we were made of jelly, one limb at a time. On one hot summer day, we were shaking our legs, when my jelly sandal took flight across the room; everyone turned...and stared. Though, I couldn't blame my super fashionable footwear, helloooo, social anxiety!


As you probably know, jellies have made numerous style come-backs since my youthful social trauma. In middle school, my beloved friend, India, had a killer pair of stack-heeled jellies that were glittery to boot! Ahhh jealousy, the green-eyed monster. Then, just a couple of years ago, jellies were back on the scene, this time popular as flats. While I wasn't sure I'd ever see them again after that, I'm happy to announce: jellies are BACK--and better than I ever, I venture to say. This time, their main selling feature is the fact that they are waterproof and thus immune to the damaging effects of rain, unlike most flats that get utterly destroyed in a downpour.

So, like the diligent fashionista that I am, I have searched high and low and come up with my three favorite flavors of jelly...


If you like your jelly with a twist, then you will looove the Jelly Raffia Flats by Tory Burch. The pale grey color is a welcomed alternative to basic black and is also a perfect summer neutral. The blinged out flower at the toe makes these jellies anything but boring--and also has that bejewelled look going for it. I'm not sure how well the raffia flower detailing will withstand a sudden summer shower; depending on how important the waterproof component is for you, this may or may not defeat the purpose of this particular pair of jellies. Still, the flower is sweet and feminine, yet completely neutral in tone so it won't compete with your outfit. Price tag: $77--on sale!

If you're not sure you can commit to the genuine jelly look, then start by taking baby steps--and see how things go from there. These Jelly Capri Sandals in metallic gold from J. Crew are a fun, flip-flop version of the standard jelly flat. And what they may lack in surface area, they make up for in glitter (and what fashionista doesn't love glitter, am I right?). Price tag: $19.50--on sale!

Beyonce may suggest that you "put a ring on it," but if you're one of those girls who likes everything in her life to be neatly packaged, then put a bow on it! The New York "Obi" Jelly Shoes by Kate Spade in fuchsia give the jelly flat a more grown-up look, featuring a sling back, peep toe, and contrasting bow detail. While we may have had our qualms about Tory's raffia flower, Kate's irresistible little bow is made of ribbed rubber! Translation: waterproof like whoa. Price tag: $60




So there you have it, three flavors of jelly that have everything but the butter and toast! The best part? Each and every one is under $100 so you won't blow your summer wardrobe budget. If you live in New England like me, then you know we're destined for a few thunderstorms this season, but your footwear doesn't have to be collateral damage this year. Dress to impress with a pair of jellies, and you'll be--appropriately--sugar sweet.





Images, in order of appearance: (1) Jelly shoe quote, thanks to 1337 Mama (http://www.1337mama.com/); (2) Collection of jelly shoes, image thanks to 944.com (http://www.944.com/) (3) Jelly Raffia Flats in pale grey by Tory Burch $77 (marked down from $110), available online (www.toryburch.com); (4) Jelly Capri Sandals in metallic gold from J. Crew $19.50 (marked down from $29.50), available online (www.jcrew.com); (5) New York "Obi" Jelly Shoes in fuchsia by Kate Spade $60, available online from Bloomingdales (www.bloomingdales.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment