4.5.10

The Things We Do For Beauty


Given my penchant for sky-high heels, you may not be surprised to learn that I have uttered the words, "Beauty is pain" on numerous occasions through out my lifetime. However, even crazy masochistic fashionistas have to draw the line somewhere. More precisely, there needs to be a limit to the things we do for beauty. Let me explain...

Catching up on my Fashion & Style headlines from The New York Times earlier today, the words "long lashes" caught my attention. As a lover/coveter of looong, luscious lashes, I'm always in search of the latest and greatest mascara. That being said, I simply had to read this article, which as it turns out, discussed the truth about Latisse.


Now, I know you've seen the ad on TV--the one where Brooke Sheilds touts the benefits of the eyelash drug as the solution to inadequate lashes? Initially, I was curious about the product, but my personal code of beauty conduct simply does not include any measures that I deem remotely sketchy or utterly invasive (think: implants, Botox, and the like). For me, Latisse fell into this category. I mean, I can always have eyelashes applied at the Mac counter if I'm really craving dramatic lashes, but I'm not about to apply some mysterious serum to my lash line, especially when the possible side effects include the risk that my green eyes will turn brown--FOREVER.

Some might call me paranoid, but it seems that my doubts are not unfounded. Hello, remember the part when Brooke advises viewers to "ask a doctor if Latisse is right for them?!" Well, according to the Times article, Latisse is widely available without a doctor's prescription--often online, and with as little as a credit card number. For these individuals who fail to consult their physician, the unwanted side effects can be a rude awakening. One woman had a deep purple discoloration appear on her eyelids and beneath her eyes, making it look like she "hadn't slept in a month." Other side effects, in addition to the permanent brown iris pigmentation I mentioned earlier, include: redness; itchiness and irritation; reactivation of dormant eye inflamation; and even ingrown lashes, which is when lashes get so long they scratch the cornea (ouch!).

The real question is this: are long lashes really worth the risk? As Dr. Andrew G. Iwach, Executive Director of the Glaucoma Center of San Francisco, states in the Times article, Let’s say you use the product once inappropriately, or outside the approved guidelines, you might get away with it, but this drug is being applied repeatedly over weeks, months and potentially years. The consequences, or risk of consequences, add up over time.

I, for one, will NOT be using Latisse. But for those of you lovely ladies who opt for the Brooke Sheilds approach to long lashes, please be sure to seek medical advice first. As Dr. Iwach concludes, When it’s something as personal, something so critical as vision, you don’t want to cut corners.


For more information, click here to read the full article, Long Lashes Without Prescription, But With Risks by Catherine Saint Louis, from the May 1, 2010 edition of The New York Times.


Images, in order of appearance: (1) Fabulous fake lashes, photo thanks to Stylefrizz (www.stylefrizz.com); (2) Latisse advertisement featuring Brooke Sheilds, image thanks to Spoiled Pretty (http://spoiledpretty.blogspot.com/); (3) Saturday Night Live parody on Latisse, image thanks to Hollywire (www.hollywire.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment