3.5.10

On the Top Sider



As spring begins to turn to summer, I've been giving more thought to the areas of my wardrobe that need a little upgrading. One of my favorite summer looks is, as I've mentioned before, the subtle nautical style. Without getting too literal, traditional boating gear makes for fabulous and classic wardrobe staples that no fashionista should ever have to brave a summer without.

Though there are infinite areas of nautical chic that we could discuss (and some that we have discussed before!), today's focus is footwear, with a particular emphasis on these glitzy Sperry Top Siders that take boating to the next level---and beyond. I originally saw these sailor-savvy beauties in the J. Crew catalog a couple of months ago, but I put them on the back burner since it wasn't yet the season. Now, with the season upon us, I'm obsessing about them again and, with the spirit of budget in mind, considering whether or not these shoes fall into the wardrobe "MUST" category. In the interest of fairness, let's weigh the pros and cons, shall we?

On the PRO side: These are not just any Top Siders. Rather, their regal gold sheen takes these iconic deck shoes over to the fierce side. The added bonus is that there is functionality built into this fashion statement, for they're made of water resistant leather with a rubber sole for maximum traction. Nautical fashion that you can actually wear on a boat?!--yes please.

On the CON side: I have already envisioned dozens of outfits around this shoe in my head (my mind is a scary yet utterly fashionable place, you must know), I have to really consider whether or not I will actually wear this shoe... You know what I mean; sometimes you find a must-have item, but then it sits in your closet forever, lacking practical value for your lifestyle. So the big question remains, does this pair of platinum boating shoes have a base in reality? Indeed, I like to think that I would put this sensibly glam footwear to use.

With further consideration to practicality, the Bloomingdales website suggests you wear them with khakis for a classic look or make them edgy with cuffed boyfriend jeans. I'm not really one for khakis (too buttoned up for me--unless they have that fabulous destroyed look to them), but I think these Sperrys would be killer with a pair of weathered skinny jeans, cuffed at the ankle, and a plain white tee (or any tee, for that matter).

As I mentioned before, these shoes are available at both Bloomies and J. Crew (and likely a million other places), and I simply cannot fail to mention that they are $13 more at J. Crew. Why? Well, I'm glad you asked! According to the J. Crew site, their Top Siders feature exclusive details you won't find anywhere else (like grosgrain ribbon at the heel). Indeed, the grosgrain ribbon they speak of seems to be the only discernible difference. Cute it may be, but is it $13 worth of cuteness? I love J. Crew as much as anyone, but unless this irresistible yellow and orange ribbon prevents blisters and chaffing on my heels (debatable), I think I'll pass--but to each her own. After all, who am I to put a price on the details?

So there you have it: all you ever wanted to know (or not to know!) on the Top Sider. So what's the verdict? Are these shoes just too "me" to resist? I'm thinking that might be the case... But please, if you have any feelings on the matter, let me know! Post your comments or send me an email--I mean, this is my WARDROBE that's at stake here. Very. Serious. Stuff.



Images, in order of appearance: (1) Ahoy Sailor!, photo thanks to The Style Spy (http://www.thestylespy.com/); (2) Top-Sider "A/O" Shoes by Sperry $85, available at Bloomingdales (www.bloomingdales.com); (3) Top-Sider® Authentic Original 2-eye metallic boat shoes by Sperry $98, available at J. Crew (www.jcrew.com); (4) J. Crew catalog image of the Top Sider (www.jcrew.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment