10.11.09

Fashion Flashback: Combat Boots Still Rock

Feeling slightly nostalgic this past weekend, I simply couldn't resist an Empire Records (an oldie, yes--but definitely a goodie) viewing. You should know that, as teenagers, fellow blogstar Sarah and I couldn't get enough of this cult classic. Our first love was undoubtedly AJ (sorry, Dallin), and I basically wanted to be Cory--so much so that I rocked my own version of her plaid skirt/mohair cardi/combat boots outfit on numerous occasions.

Though I am now far from being a teen (in spite of my love for Twilight), this movie will forever hold the key to my heart. Yet, from the perspective of the grown-up fashionista that I am today, I couldn't help but reflecting on their oh-so-90s style: the midriff-bearing tops that nearly all the female characters wear; AJ's patched jeans; Gina's clunky platforms... How far we've come! With one exception, for I maintain that, like Empire, Cory's combat boots still rock.

Clearly, I'm not the only one who thinks so. When Tory Burch's Donna Boot hit stores this fall, I immediately thought, "Doc Marten?" When it comes to fashion, we know all about reinterpretation--evident here in the 4-inch stacked heel; the ankle cuff with square buckles; and the gold hardware and side zipper detailing. To avoid a biker- chic subtext, an industrial-inspired boot like this is truly meant for a mixed aesthetic--and is best paired with something traditionally femme. Think: big bad boots + flirty party dress...

Not that I ever doubted her, but Cory obviously knew what she was doing. Rocking her Docs with a plaid skirt and soft sweater, she remained too preciously good girl to ever be mistaken for punk (someone should tell Avril Lavigne that the same applies to her--but we'll leave that to her skater boy). As it turns out, there is a lesson to be learned from this fashion flashback, so let's turn up the fierce factor by adding a little edge to our step, shall we? Just another tasty treat from the gang at Empire Records.



Images, in order of appearance: (1) Empire Records, 1995; (2) Donna Boot by Tory Burch $595, available online at http://www.toryburch.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment