1.11.09

Into the Working World

As my college town has yellowed in autumnal glow, and I continue to bask in the glory of the last warm days, I find myself (and a few of my friends) putting the finishing touches on my resumé for grad school--and thus pondering business-appropriate attire.

I have been fortunate to hold a job this year, my final year at an undergraduate institution, that requires me to have weekly meetings with highers-up in my institution, and hence, a dire need for a business appropriate wardrobe. Even more fortunate was the fact that my darling mother was more than willing to indulge in these purchases, as we all know there is nothing, nothing worse than ill-fitting or inappropriate business attire.

My colleagues tend to be conservative in their business dress, relying heavily on easy staples like brown trousers and bland black sweaters, which is acceptable (if only just because it's unoffensive), I suppose. However, there have been instances of very ill-fitting and bulging button-up blouses, which are cringe-worthy. Though it is hard to look pulled together in the wee hours of the morning, please.

I have learned that, as a result of my bustiness, I cannot wear many, if not most (if not all), button-up garments. This has been a struggle for me to accept because, in case you have not noticed, the fashion world is full of beautiful things that button up the front. I keep trying them on, hoping maybe just this one. Maybe this one will be the one. But alas, I must let them pass me by in favor of garments that fit my body. Heaving sigh.

Speaking of bustiness, here is another issue that I encountered in meetings this week: undergarments. I have written of these before, in the context of exposed straps (tsk tsk!), but in this case, I feel the need to address the complete dearth of undergarment worn by a certain higher-up in my institution. This is ridiculous. There are three or four people that I have ever met in my life whose figures are boyish enough to not need a bra. Even if this state of being made it appropriate, this individual is sadly not among them. I implore you to imagine this sweater set (minus duster) with submerged dangling in front of you on an early Thursday morning. At least I thought to bring bagels for breakfast. Om nom nom.

The point, fashionistas, is this: Even an up-and-coming lady to business attire can put her best foot forward early. In fact, I had a discussion with another certain contributor to this blog about her early business attire, and how she has since learned. And even with two dance classes on the Tuesdays and Thursdays during which I seem to have the most meetings, especially at lunch between them, I manage to change and keep it classy. My colleagues were astonished that I owned a pair of pointy-toed heels, which when paired with a pencil skirt and blazer, made me look about twenty-seven. I hope to think that I'm starting with an equipped toolbox, and so I once again implore: Please. Take the time to buy well-fitted things. Take the time to invest in classy things. Your resumé and options will thank you.

In cooperation,
Risingly Professional Fashionista


Images, in order of appearance: (1) Ill-fitting business attire (http://images.forbes.com/media/2009/07/21/office-clothes_ill-fitting.jpg); (2) Mildly heinous sweater set (https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjmvqbjN_XUzcMMLEEy8w4hZLRINbkMdsYl9Ha90YhaBn9csBQdacn2JiywyWc3LvQ7ksuqmhV4HZLeATtwzgFUhJUaaPsb_BOuvmFuwm1Su4ISIwj5YeNA6A_p78JkjjI3bRAuH_D4aBd_/s1600-r/sweater+set+12.3.07.jpg); (3) Banana Republic business staples (http://moodboard.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83539e9ed69e2010536e572a1970b-500wi).

No comments:

Post a Comment