12.11.09

Fingerless and Fabulous

As we fashionistas prep for the winter ahead, the question always becomes one of function versus fashion. The truth is that no fashionista likes the word "practicality," as it very rarely appears in the same sentence as "hot" (except here!--I defy the rules). I have given much thought to this issue during these recent chilly mornings, when I can hardly stand to touch my icy-cold steering wheel, much less drive the whole way to work. Brrr!

The problem is this: I looove mittens, but you really can't drive in cozy wool mittens. Believe me, I've tried. Your hands slip all over the steering wheel, which is never a good thing when you're trying to operate a motor vehicle (then add snow or ice to the equation--forget about it). BUT I really hate gloves. I hate having my fingers separated like that, and I just find nothing cute about them whatsoever. So how does a girl stay warm when enough dexterity is required so that you can't wear mittens but don't want to wear gloves? Yes, my life is full of complications.

Fortunately for my cccold hands, I've figured this one out; it's all about going fingerless to stay fabulous. I am now officially obsesed with fingerless gloves. The genius behind this simple concept: my hands stay warm, while my finger tips are free to grip the steering wheel, use my Blackberry, get my credit card from my wallet, etc. For the New England fashionista on the go, they are absolutely crucial for winter survival.

The added bonus is that the current styles are doubling as arm warmers. They say that your arm span is equivalent to your height so, if you're anywhere even close to my height, that means there sometimes an irritating gap between where a jacket ends and a mitten begins. No longer! At least half of the fingerless gloves I've spotted lately have a lengthy fit, extending practically to the elbow in some cases. Another common feature is the adjustable mitten, which is exactly what it sounds like. When you need your fingers free, the mitten top can be fastened with a button; then, when you want to maximize the cozy factor, all you have to do unbutton and cuddle up.

Fashionable and warm? Please, they had me at "hello."


Images, in order of appearance: (1) Cable Fingerless Gloves by Vince $125, available from Shop Style (www.shopstyle.com); (2) Long Fingerless Wool Gloves by Milly $95, available from Net-a-Porter (www.net-a-porter.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment