6.11.09

Unheeled? Maybe Never...

A couple of weeks ago, I asked you, my lovely fashionista friends, to tell me your thoughts on heels. More specifically, to heel or not to heel?--that was my question. Given the name of this blog, it seems like an appropriate forum to discuss heels. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder when she/me will indeed "come unheeled?" Maybe never...

Last month, the New York Times' Room for Debate Blog addressed "Why We Love the Shoes That Hurt Us." Not surprisingly, that headline caught my eye immediately, as I ask myself that very question all the time. Why do I keep going back to my gorgeous black Christian Louboutin pumps when, after wearing them for a whole day, it feels as though my shoes are filling with blood? Is the fact that I constantly get paralyzing foot cramps any indication that maybe I should lay off the sky-high heels? Perhaps. Yet, I don't (or won't?). I like to consider myself an intelligent and fashion-forward individual, so what gives?

Some would suggest height as a motivation, but I can confidently reject that reason. I've been walking tall at 5'11" for as long as I can remember--yet, I still opt for death-defying footwear that places me around 6'3" on an almost daily basis. Plus, these days it seems that everyone is in heels. If we're all tacking on the inches, then the added height is essentially pointless. So if not height, then what?

We're so vain. The Times blog debate quoted Nancy Rexford, author of Women's Shoes In America: 1795 to 1930, who explained this seemingly inexplicable lust for heels: In an age of slovenliness and fat, simply being thin is a mark of status, and high heels emphasize the advantage by lengthening the leg. Add platform soles, and you rise superior to a wasteland of waddling sweatshirts and dumpy athletic shoes.

At least for me personally, it's difficult to deny Rexford's explanation. After all, I look much, much better in heels than I ever would in flats. If I'm wearing a skirt or a dress, my legs look longer and leaner with heels on. If I'm wearing pants, I prefer the way the fabric falls over heels. Though I might be more comfortable in a pair of flats or even low pumps, I am willing to pay quite a high premium for a confidence strictly available with a 4-inch boost.

So what do we heel-lovers sacrifice in the name of fashion? My sister is one of the few fashionistas I know who doesn't wear heels. When I asked her why, she quoted Agador from The Birdcage, saying with a smile, I do not wear the shoes... because... they make me fall down. Joking aside, I remember walking arm-in-arm with Daddy at my wedding, frantically whispering, "Don't let me fall, don't let me fall!" as we made our way across the sloping lawn. Wearing 4-inch wedges, I clutched his arm--delicately, of course--for dear life. But my shoes, like my wedding, were perfect. So it was worth it.

Yet, as far as health goes, Marlene Reid, the Naperville, Illinois podiatrist and spokeswoman for the American Podiatric Medical Association quoted in the Times blog piece, explains that many podiatric physicians are concerned about the future problems stemming from shoe choices. High-heels are an obvious target, causing pain in the ball of the foot and knees as early as one's 20's. More interesting is the fact that flats are not exempt. Rather, continuously wearing (unsupportive) flats can result in arch problems for both women and men. I'm no podiatrist, but it looks to me like we're damned if we do, damned if we don't--short of wearing running shoes all the time (gross).

The age-old expression, beauty is pain, seems appropriate for this footwear conundrum. Are sacrifices in the name of fashion simply inevitable? In a recent Washington Post article, shoe maestro Christian Louboutin confessed, I would hate for someone to look at my shoe and say, "Oh my God! That looks so comfortable!" That's not what I want to project. But I'm not a sadist. I don't believe suffering makes you beautiful. But comfort is not part of my creative process. The take-home message? Suffering, while not mandatory, may be unavoidable--at least as far as your L'Bouts go.

Reid, on the other hand, argues that healthy feet does not require sacrificing fashion. To keep your feet happy and healthy, she suggests dropping down half an inch in heel height for stability, selecting shoes with padding, and alternating your heel height daily. Never wear a shoe that doesn’t allow you to walk normally. Alternatively, if you're wedded to those gorgeous sky-high heels, you can cheat a bit. Remember that scene in The Devil Wears Prada when a faceless Runway employee quickly slips out of her clogs and into her pumps when word gets out that Miranda has entered the building? Similarly, I have a friend who keeps a pair of flats or flip-flops in her bag for commuting purposes. Another friend will only wear heels when there is no extensive walking involved.

We all have our reasons for loving heels: longer legs; better posture; feeling confident, powerful, sexy, etc.; that irresistible clicking sound they make against the floor. Or not: they hurt; they're bad for your feet/body; you can't walk properly; that annoying clicking sound they make against the floor. Heels or flats? Given the option, as Victoria Beckham once said, Heels! I just can't concentrate in flats. But that doesn't mean that a girl can't come unheeled every now and then. I mean, Chanel does make some darling ballet flats, and I lovelovelooove my Chucks with jeans when I'm bumming around! But at the end of the day, I'll side with Manolo Blahnik every time: You put high heels on and you change. End of story.



Sources: (1) "Why We Love the Shoes That Hurt Us" from the Editors of the The New York Times (click here to see the full text); (2) Christian Louboutin, quoted in The Washington Post (click here to see the full text); (3) Thanks also to all the fashionistas who shared their opinions on heels with me!

Images, in order of appearance: (1) Girl in heels, photo from FabSugarUK (http://www.fabsugar.co.uk/); (2) Me! putting my shoes on, photographed by Ross Jacob Photographers (online at http://www.rossjacob.com/); (3) Christian Louboutin, image thanks to http://www.panachereport.com/; (4) Victoria Beckham, photo from SoftPedia (www.news.softpedia.com).

1 comment:

  1. I agree that your wedding was perfect as well as your shoes. I remember you putting them on and thinking "how in the world is she going to walk in those?" But you did and you looked gorgeous! Now if I could get some skinny legs to accent... maybe I'd consider getting some heels. :)

    ReplyDelete