18.2.10

Bigger Is Better

You may find this difficult to believe, but I was late to arrive at the flat iron party. In fact, I didn't actually own a flat iron until after college. I blame my hair stylist; how could they NOT have told me?!! While I was spending foreverrrr with my blow-dryer and a round brush, I could have been straightening in a snap! with the ease of a Chi. So maybe this is the reason that I have since been obsessed with straight hair? The same could be said of my TV addiction. We had (quite literally) no working channels on our TV growing up--and now watching all of my shows is like a full-time job! But I digress...

Whatever the reason, I have kept my hair on the straight and narrow for a good four years now. My Chi is a vital tool in my daily beauty routine, and I never leave home (overnight, at least) without it. Until a few days ago, that is... While killing time and perusing photos on Facebook from my recent weekend in Vermont with friends, I was startled to realize: my hair is flat. Straight to be sure, but flat flat flatttt? Ick. And just like that, I resolved to embrace the natural kink of my hair--enhanced with a few well-placed curls thanks to my curling iron, obvi.

Having come to this decision, I've noticed that big hair is everywhere in fashion--from the runway, to the red carpet, and featured in fashion editorial spreads like whoa. The common element: big hair equals glamour. Pump up the volume with curl and shape, and viola! Glamour. I decided to test this theory out for myself the past couple of days, ditching my Chi in favour of a little air-dry and a lot of curl. Once I got over feeling like my hair was a total mess, I sort of liked the way my hair totally took over. And what's more, I received more compliments than I had in...forever. What can I tell you? Bigger really is better.


Images, in order of appearance: (1) Dior models with big hair, photo thanks to The Juicer (http://www.thejuicer.net/); (2) straight hair model, photo thanks to Stylelist (http://www.stylelist.com/); (3) Angelina Jolie on the cover of Vanity Fair (www.vanityfair.com); (4) Hillary Swank, photo thanks to Celebrity Fashionistas (http://celebrityfashionistas.wordpress.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment