3.2.10

Jeggings: The New Leggings

Like most fashionistas, I love leggings. However, my one problem with leggings is their lack of independence. Sure, they look fabulous under dresses, tunics, and long sweaters--but I have never seen them (effectively and/or fashionably) stand alone. I've seen girls try, and while I applaud their effort, fully exposed leggings look a liiiitle too much like tights. Have we learned nothing from Blair Waldorf? Please, ladies, tights are not pants!

Not surprisingly, the fashion drama doesn't end there. All I've ever wanted is a pair of thick leggings that could actually be worn as pants. Instead, faux denim--a serious faux pas--hit the runway last Spring. I'm relieved to report that the trend didn't stick, but the serious visceral reaction I experienced after watching Rock & Republic's acid-washed faux denim leggings come down the runway left me nauseous, traumatized--and very, very cautious about what would come next...

Jeggings! Part jeans, part leggings, and 100% fabulous. I admit, I was skeptical at first-- a reaction I credit to the post-traumatic stress of the faux denim leggings incident--but there is nothing NOT to love about this sophisticated hybrid! They fit even better than my favorite pair of skinny jeans (a true feat), yet they are infinitely more comfortable. As far as brands go, no one does it better than Paige Premium Denim. After the last few days, I think it's safe to say that I am officially obsessed with Paige's Glam Rock style in vinyl, an irresistible ink-black wash:

Day 1- Spent the day at bessie blue, where Ashley talked me into trying on the Glam Rock Jeggings by Paige. Hellooo, hotness! Bought them then and there.

Day 2- Went to brunch with Dallin. Wore my new Paige jeggings with Uggs, a vintage concert tee, and a long cashmere sweater: comfy AND cute!

Day 3- Dressing for the office made easy: jeggings, tall black boots, and a white long-sleeve tee underneath a grey, twill military-style blazer. Who needs business casual?

Day 4- laundry day!

Day 5- Another fabulous office outfit: jeggings, tall brown boots, a black Theory blazer, and classic Burberry plaid scarf. How's that for a power suit?

The obvious versatility of my amazing Paige jeggings has made them both a wardrobe staple and a fashion-forward force to be reckoned with. I can either wear them alone as jeans or underneath a long, drapey sweater as leggings. And with a comfort level equal or better than regular old leggings, who can argue with that? Not only are jeggings the new leggings, but they're quickly becoming the new jeans too! Clearly, there is no question about who's wearing the pants in this relationship.



Psst: If you're local, you can get your very own pair of Glam Rock Leggings by Paige Premium denim from bessie blue at 21 Leonard Street in Belmont.



Images, in order of appearance: (1) Faux denim leggings by Rock & Republic, photo from the Fashionista (http://www.fashionista.com/); (2) Paige Glam Rock Leggings in vinyl, photo thanks to Paige Premium Denim, available online (www.paigepremiumdenim.com); (3) style icon Rachel Bilson in denim leggings, photo from Australia's My Look Book Blog (fashionlookbook.blogspot.com).

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog you should read my story about"leggings"http://hendywow.blogspot.com/2010/01/its-new-year-but-i-am-still-nerd.html
    BTW Hans Jenkins turned me on to you...

    ReplyDelete