11.3.10

Travel Savvy

As I count down the days until my trip across the pond to visit my lovely friend (and fellow blogger!), Miss Sarah, I've been thinking a lot about travel gear. For years, I was a notorious over-packer. Trekking back and forth between LA and Boston during my college years, my Daddy would groan at the sight of my multiple over-stuffed duffel bags when he greeted me at the airport curb. I am happy to say that I've since mended my ways, and last year, I even shared my own personal "how to" guide on packing light! So, now that I've got the strategy down, my new travel philosophy is simple, yet effective: carry on whenever possible.

With that bold sentiment in mind, let's give some thought to luggage that is both trendy and sometimes even regulation-sized, a definite added bonus for you fashionable jet-setters out there! Some of my favorites are as follows:

1. Wheeled Trolley by Longchamp: Made of a rich, chocolate-colored canvas and trimmed in Longchamp's signature leather, this rolling trolley (pictured right) measures an FAA-approved 13x8x20. I love this bag for its classic simplicity--and the price isn't overly outrageous, as far as high-quality luggage is concerned.

2. Centenary 28" Suitcase by Globe-Trotter for J. Crew: Made by the British company, Globe-Trotter, this sunny suitcase (and each and every one like it) is actually handmade by an experienced craftsman in a custom color combination. Maybe that's the reason for the hefty price tag? Nonetheless, I adore the vintage feel of this durable suitcase, and though it is available in standard black, I'm especially partial to the citrusy zing of the "sour lemon."


3. Blueblood Travel Duffel by Juicy Couture: If my husband is reading this, he is undoubtedly thinking, She only likes that bag because of the name--and I can't say the name doesn't make me smile a little bit. But it's also, clearly, a very fun little duffel that leaves no detail unexplored. From its equestrian style, to the all-over crown print, and even the red and blue diagonal stripes, what is this bag, if not fit for a blueblooded Juicy girl? PLUS, it even receives an FAA stamp of approval, measuring 13x20x10.

See, what you put inside your suitcase is really only part of the fun--and as the saying goes, you only have one chance to make a first impression. So, dearest fashionista friends, let's not forget the packaging! If you're looking for a little justification, remember the golden rule: carry on whenever possible. If it's okay with the FAA, I'm sure your wallet will understand. Bon voyage!

Images, in order of appearance: (1) Samsonite vintage travel poster, image thanks to Found In Mom's Basement (http://pzrservices.typepad.com/); (2) Wheeled Trolley in chocolate by Longchamp $270, available from Neiman Marcus (http://www.neimanmarcus.com/); (3) Centenary 28" suitcase with wheels in sour lemon by Globe-Trotter for J. Crew $1,600, available online (http://www.jcrew.com/); (4) Blueblood Travel Duffel by Juicy Couture $348 (available online at www.juicycouture.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment