24.6.10

From The Great Gatsby to Cuchi Cuchi--Back to the Roaring Twenties


Last night, my husband and I had the opportunity to dine out with our great friends at Cambridge's Cuchi Cuchi. Having heard countless rave reviews of the Central Square spot, I was just waiting for an excuse to check it out for myself--and it was well worth the wait, both for the spicy and sophisticated cuisine and the inspiring fashion. The concept behind the chic hotspot is essentially an homage to la belle epoch and early Hollywood. The result is a glowing, lavishly furnished restaurant/bar, where Daisy Buchanan-esque waitresses serve small, "straight up" dishes (not to be mistaken for tapas!) and vintage cocktails. Feeling as though I had stepped into one of Jay Gatsby's infamous parties, I almost found myself looking for a single green light, minute and faraway, that might have been the end of a dock.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. While dressing for dinner earlier that evening, I lamented my lack of wardrobe options. My adorable husband, who always does his homework, reported that the Cuchi Cuchi website identified the dress code as one of casual elegance, which was further qualified as pearls and designer jeans. Although I was somewhat surprised by these specifics, it made dressing that much easier--and without further fuss and bother, I happily climbed into my black Rock & Republic skinny jeans, and we hit the road.

Yet, just thirty minutes later, surrounded by a glamorous waitstaff who captured the quintessential Gatsby look with unparalleled perfection, I was feeling much more like the unrefined Myrtle Wilson (was it because of our shared last name?) than the ravishing (albeit fickle) Daisy. It wasn't until later that I learned that Cuchi Cuchi actually has its own costume closet and vault library so that their staff can bedazzle themselves in vintage clothes and jewels like the roaring twenties never ended. From the glitz to the glam to the painted, ruby red lips, these lovely ladies glittered with finery that left me considering the ways that an everyday fashionista might incorporate a bit of old world beauty and excess into an everyday look.

As it turns out, the answer lies in Cuchi Cuchi's own brilliant dress code. By simply adding a few choice accessories to an otherwise streamlined look, you can infuse the everyday with a much-needed hint of drama. For example, a jeweled hair pin; dramatic faux lashes and red velvet lips; a glittering cocktail ring; a luxe silk blouse; or even a a simple headband, worn jazz-era style (across your forehead) can bring your pearls and designer jeans look back to the bygone age. Plus, there's a good chance you already have many--if not all--of these items in your closet. That means you get to be glamorous and frugal at precisely the same time--leaving your hard earned dollars for a night out at...Cuchi Cuchi! I mean, really now, where else would you go?




Quote from The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Images, in order of appearance: (1) "no. 100" rhinestone hair pin $130 by ban.do, available online (http://www.shopbando.com/); (2) Cuchi Cuchi girl, thanks to the Cuchi Cuchi website (http://www.cuchicuchi.com/); (3) "no. 113" beaded headband $130, also by ban.do.

No comments:

Post a Comment