30.6.10

Love It or Loathe It? Episode 8: Silly Bandz for Adults???


I simply had to laugh when I saw that Silly Bandz made the New York Times fashion headlines in my iGoogle today! For those unfamiliar with Silly Bandz, they are essentially rubber bands--in an array of bright colors--that are shaped like objects such as a peace sign, a guitar, or an animal. They are designed to be worn on the wrist, but they revert back to their original shape when taken off. Apparently, they have been the hot item amongst today's youth (much like I snap bracelets were in my day--can I get an Amen?) for some time now--and according to today's Times' article, Older Audience for Child’s Bracelet Is Not a Stretch, adults are now getting in on the silliness too! In fact, my adorable college-age sister told me that one of her friends wears a single silly band on her wrist--and that it serves as a fun conversation piece.

Anyway, with my love of bracelets no secret, I'm sort of intrigued by this still-rising trend that has taken over one demographic and moved right on to the next. But now I want to hear from YOU! The question for today's episode of Love It or Loathe It? is (appropriately) a bit silly: Silly Bandz for adults--love it or loathe it? And why? Send me an email or post your comments!



Image: an edgy adult wearing Silly Bandz just like the kids, photo from The New York Times article, Older Audience for Child’s Bracelet Is Not a Stretch by Kayleen Schaefer; full article available online by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment