8.6.10

Pretty Pretty Plaid


It isn't often that I fall in love with a head-to-toe catalog look. Well, perhaps I should rephrase; it isn't often that I fall in love with a head-to-toe catalog look that I can actually wear in its entirety. There are many reasons for this, though my height and style are primary. Yet, this fashion feat actually happened this past weekend! Allow me to recap...

As I was innocently shoe shopping with my lovely friend, India, we popped into J. Crew to kill a few minutes while waiting for our table to be ready at a nearby restaurant. Lo and behold, I didn't even make it through the door, for the impeccably styled window display was calling to me. Wearing cropped plaid pants, a sequined tee, and a playful straw fedora, this mannequin was...sooo me! Upon closer inspection, the tee was actually a sequined tank layered over a basic tee, but who's counting? Part prepster, part beach bum, and part glam goddess, this outfit--in my humble opinion--is the ultimate in summer style.

Clearly, this look is made by the pretty pretty plaid pants. For argument's sake, let's say the rest of these items were paired with a pair of cut-off jeans instead of madras; definitely a do-able (and cute) outfit--but somehow lacking the instant character and boldness of plaid. PLUS, these particular plaid pants have an extra bit of edge, with exposed zippers at the pockets and ankles. Given the inherent prep appeal of plaid, I'm thinking these pants can be worn to the office one day--and the beach the next. Now that's what I can versatility, which is worth its weight in sequins during these turbulent times.

To answer the question I know you simply must be thinking: no, I will not hold it against you if you want to cop my style and steal this look. Just remember where you heard it first (+1 for me). Oh wait, I saw it in the J. Crew window display (+1 for J. Crew). Looks like it's a wash. Happy shopping!




Images, in order of appearance: (1) Cropped Seaside Madras Zipper Pant $88 by J. Crew (http://www.jcrew.com/); (2) Sequin Drizzle Tank in aluminum $148, also by J. Crew; (3) Straw Panama Hat in natural $58, also by J. Crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment