31.3.09

The Verdict, Episode 2: Loathe It

Giorgio Armani once said, "Jeans represent democracy in fashion." You're not going to get an argument from me on that one. Living in LA for four years changed my whole concept of jeans, which accordingly changed my life. For real. Actually, I think I may have heard a heavenly chorus when I purchased my first pair of A-pocket Sevens (or maybe it was the frantic beeping of cars on Melrose?) all those years ago--and I've been a jeans girl ever since.

My complete and utter adoration for denim, in all cuts and washes, is what leaves me loathing this Rock & Republic runway impostor (insert ominous music here): faux denim leggings. Ick. More like faux pas. Apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way. According to your feedback, 58% of you loathe this look, while only 17% love it. The remaining 25% feel like it would depend on the style and the occasion. How democratic of you.

Since I'm proving to be more and more bias with every word I type, I'll open it up to your fabulous commentary to keep things cool:
  • I am on the fence about them. A cute dark denim pair might be ok.
  • Ick. Not jumping on this trend as: 1.) I am not a supermodel and pair my leggings with long tees or tunics so no need for faux pocket detail. 2.) I can't help but think about those t-shirts screen printed with bikinis. 3.) I saw that R&R also made a version for men. No thank you.
  • I looooooooooooove them. Those non-denim wonders are a work of art!
  • NO WAY! Jeans are jeans, a part of our American past. Don't try to change them into something they aren't. They are too great the way they are....in denim!
  • I talked it over with some friends and we've decided it depends on the occasion that you rock them at. Wearing them to class or out to lunch--loathe it. Wearing them on a fun night out, paired with a top that only Lolly could recommend--love it.
  • I think of Madonna, or Agyness Deyn--you have to be pretty rock and roll to pull it off.
  • LOATHE! Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby. Jeans are so wonderful as they are, and spandies are also fabu as they are--so never cross the two! This has reached the boundaries of identity confusion.
  • Perhaps these faux denim leggings by Rock & Republic are very close to the real deal, but I'm already cringing when I envision the $10 knock-offs they will inspire. Also, a girl (or boy for that matter) has to get their fitness on if s/he wants to look rockin' in some skin-tight jeans. The extra effort of getting those pants up makes it worth the missed donut. These faux denim leggings are too easy.
  • Paired with the right top/jewelry, and the appropriate occasion, like a trendy art opening, I think it would be a fun, Madonna-infused, pop art kind of outfit that could turn some heads.

I'll admit, the lovers out there make some good points...but as for me, I will forever choose to the live in the United States of Denim, wearing R&Rs made of the real thing. In denim I trust.



Kiedis Skull Jeans by Rock & Republic. Visit Rock & Republic online at www.rockandrepublic.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment