1.4.10

I Look Just Like Buddy Holly

Last year, I took a class at the Rhode Island School of Design (known more commonly as RISD) on trend forecasting for home and apparel. In class, we often discussed the importance of wearing "trend goggles" while we were out and about during the day, so as to observe current and/or up-and-coming trends. Well, after spending a week abroad, I think it's official; the aforementioned "trend goggles" might as well be Buddy Holly style glasses--aka Hipster Glasses.

From London to France and back again (quite literally--I was on the train), Hipster Glasses were everywhere during my travels last week. This was not neccessarily surprising, for I had noticed this trend prior to my departure for the UK, and I had actually been entertaining the idea of scoring my own pair. The trend is understandable; geek chic has been on the rise for years now, which is fabulous for a dorky little self-proclaimed fashionista like myself. And of course, let us not forget Weezer's Buddy Holly ballad, not to mention Rivers Cuomo's general look... Geeky is in!


Personally, I wear contacts most days, but I occasionally choose to rock my glasses--usually on a cloudy day (my eyes are waaaay to sensitive to forfeit sunglasses if there's even a hint of sun in the sky). When I do wear my glasses, my boss usually tells me that I look like Sarah Palin; maybe that's a sign I need to update my look? But I digress... Anyway, after touching down at Heathrow, I noticed the omnipresence of the Hipster Glasses almost immediately. Really. I'm talking about in the line at customs.

While leafing through fashion magazines, Sarah and I discussed the look. We agree: love it. The bigger question is the longevity of this look. Miss Sarah is actually spending this week in New York City (quite the little jet setter!--I'm jealous), and she has observed far fewer pairs of Hipster Glasses since she was last in the city in December. At least on US turf, this trend may be falling out of fashion, but I'm not one to let go of a classic too easily. In fact, I still want a pair so that I too can--at long last--look just like Buddy Holly. But don't worry, you can be Mary Tyler Moore.




Images, in order of appearance: (1) Buddy Holly in concert, image thanks to Wikipedia's entry on Buddy Holly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Holly); (2) Rivers Cuomo with a "Buddy Holly" look and (3) Scarlett Johansson in hipster glasses, both photos thanks to the Jumperdress Blog ( jumper-dress.blogspot.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment