12.4.10

Please Mind The Gap

Happy Monday, style mavens! After discussing Paris at length for the last few weeks, I thought that we might kick off this week by dishing about what the Brits are wearing. Between doses of proper English tea (and all the delicious goodies that go with it), Sarah and I were able to fit in a lotttt of shopping into just a few days in London--and with it, a lot of style watching too! Read on for a few trends of note that can easily be incorporated into your spring look...

Punk rock is all the rage amongst crowds of youthful London girls--but they don't make 'em like they used to. Today's punk rock look is a contemporary re-interpretation of the age-old trend, characterized by destroyed tights; bright colors worn in layers; biker jackets; heavy eye make-up; and hair for daysss (in all directions humanly possible, albeit with the help of hairspray). If there was ever such a thing as punk rock couture, then it can be found in London, where rocker is part runway, part imagination, and--at times--utterly feminine. And you know how I love the edgy/girly duality!...

The world is flat. As Sarah reported back in her dispatch from across the pond in September, London "women walk everywhere and for once, their footwear reflects the adage of form following function." But make no mistake, style is not up for negotiation. In fact, I've never seen more variation of flats: neon, patterned, blinged-out bejeweling... You name it, they wear it. Although a heel lover myself, my trip across the pond has made a convert out of me--especially after days of walking and majorly aching feet. I now totally understand the flat appeal: live it, love it--wear them!


Heavy bangs are everywhere, and though I may have had trouble committing to my bangs, the ladies of London are definitely not having the same commitment issues. After observing the ease with which they rocked their edgy cuts, I was half tempted to return to bangs myself--but with summer (and humidity) just around the corner, the necessary maintenance of a heavy bang was a deal breaker for this American girl. I guess I'll leave that one to the British babes.

Ankle boot obsessed: It seems that I have a little something in common with the girls across the pond, for they too are obsessed with ankle boots. I noticed them everywhere, especially in the flat variety (which makes sense, obvi, considering our above discussion of flats). In fact, Elle UK reported that ankle boots will be the summer's surprise fashion hit, especially when worn battered and boyish--like you're not even trying (even though we'll know better).

So there you have it, all the trends you'll need for a charming--yet utterly chic--London style. At least, that's the word according to this fashionista's trend spotting. While not all of these trends work for me, I am most definitely embracing flats this season, which is actually a big change for me (despite all 5 feet and 11 inches of me). Until next time, thanks for stopping by--and please mind the gap.



Images, in order of appearance: (1) London street style, photo thanks to Refinery29 (http://www.refinery29.com/); (2) Studded ballet slippers (a DIY project!), image from the Material Instinct blog (http://materialinstinct.blogspot.com/); (3) Kate Moss, photo from The Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/); (4) London ankle boot street style, photo thanks to Elle UK (www.elleuk.com).

1 comment: