14.4.10

The Curator: Have I Changed My Mind?


Last spring, we voted on harem pants in Episode 3 of Love It or Loathe It?, but my new found love for (obsession might actually be a better word) J. Crew's Curator Pant has made me question my conviction. The fact that I have to make a conscious effort to not wear these pants to work everyday makes me wonder: have I changed my mind??? Gasp.

Just to reminisce a bit, here is what I said on the subject last year: When harem pants first returned to the runway some time ago, I cringed, vowing to myself that I would definitely NOT be embracing this look. Then I began to wonder if my reaction was my typical "I fear change" knee-jerk response, the same way I initially responded to skinny jeans, leggings, and pointy-toed shoes.

However, my ultimate conclusion was this: I think it's fair to say that any apparel selection hinting of Aladdin and/or Jasmine should be put back on the rack, unless it's Halloween. That said, my conclusion is this: harem pants, SO NOT HAUTE!!! Just say no.

Yet, here we are--and I won't even try to argue with the fact that the Curator bears some resemblance to the harem pant. HOWEVER, I fully believe that their appeal lies in the fact that they are a more subtle amalgamation of the harem pant--with a noticeably less saggy butt (I know, I know--but it needed to be said). To clarify: where the harem sags, the Curator slouches--and that, dearest fashionista friends, has made all the difference. And not for nothing, but wouldn't you much rather be a curator than a member of a harem??? Just sayin'.




Image: Matte Jersey Curator Pant $168 by J. Crew (www.jcrew.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment