20.7.11

Beach Bag Essentials

Last week, I had the opportunity to spend the week on North Carolina's Outer Banks with my husband and his family.  Those seven blissful days were composed of sun, sand--and more sun and sand, which was exactly what I had been hoping for.  As a result, I feel as though I have perfected the art of packing a beach bag.  There are some things you just have to have--and others that only add extra weight (which is even less enjoyable while trudging through hot sand).  Here are the key ingredients:

XL Boat and Tote Bag, Zip-Top
by L.L. Bean, $41.95
The right bag is everything.  For my wedding shower (nearly five years ago), my brother and sister gifted two huge L.L. Bean canvas bags featuring our wedding colors, personalized with the clever monogram alternatives of "Mrs." (mine) and "Mr." (Dallin's).  This trip, I toted the Mrs. bag, and it was ideal.  Not only is canvas is the perfect material for getting beat by sand, surf, sunblock, and anything/everything else, but it's colossal size meant that we could pack everything we needed in just one bag.  Our bag also includes the zipped top, which is crucial for keeping unwanted sand out.

Vital Sun Protection Lotion by Kiehl's, $19.50

Lather up!  Despite all the evidence linking skin cancer and the harmful effects of UV rays, when the summer rolls around, we still yearn for that that sun-kissed look--and I am no exception.  That said, a) it's absolutely crucial that we protect our skin, and b) it's a total myth that you can't get a tan while wearing sunscreen anyway.  To this end, I'm in love with Kiehl's Vital Sun Protection Lotion.  Each day during my vacation, I slathered it on--and completely avoided any sort of sunburn (a huge feat for a girl who hasn't spent time in the sun in practically forever), returning home at the end of my trip with that coveted golden glow.  What makes this sunscreen so fabulous is its lightweight, non-greasy formula that's water resistant for up to 80 minutes in the water--and a little bit goes a long way in coverage.

Summer Stripe Beach Towel in medium blue
from Lauren by Ralph Lauren, $24
Available at Bloomingdales

Dry off.  My husband and I both have summer birthdays (his is today!), and a few years ago, my mom gifted a pair of Ralph Lauren beach towels.  These towels were a staple for us this past week.  Plush and over sized, they were a treat to return to after braving the surf or swimming in the pool.  Plus, even though we've had our set for a while, they've more than withstood the test of time; the cotton terry is as soft as ever, and there's no piling or fading to be seen.

Summer Straw Hat by J. Crew, $34.50
Don't forget your hat.  One thing I wish I had with me last week was an over sized straw hat of my own.  There is something so classic--albeit a bit dramatic--about a wide-brimmed straw hat, yet they are so utterly practical at the same time.  When the sun is strong and the temperature high, it can be a relief to shield your face from the baking sun under the indulging brim of a summer hat like this one from J. Crew.  Not to mention that a fashionista should always embrace the opportunity to rock fun accessories.

While my guidance isn't exactly earth-shattering, what I learned during my vacation is the best beach bags are those packed simply.  The fact of the matter is, when you're at the beach, you don't need a lot of extra stuff; after all, you're there to enjoy the sun, sand, surf, and hopefully some really good company as well.  On that note, I wish you all the best from your beach adventures this summer!

Hatteras Island, NC



1 comment:

  1. Glad your LL Bean bag came in handy and that you repped Maine while in NC! :)

    ReplyDelete