5.7.11

The Neon Question

9" Chino Shorts in shocking pink, $35
by J. Crew
A couple of weeks ago, while shopping at J. Crew, I was thrilled to see neon pink everywhere.  In fact, while waiting in line for an open register, I noticed that the girl in front of me had a pair of neon pink shorts in her pile--which got me thinking: I love neon, but can I pull off those shorts? 

Indeed, neon--whether pink, yellow, green, or orange--is tricky.  I've had success with small pops of neon, like Essie's Punchy Pink on my nails or a flashy neon headband.  But to commit to a full neon article of clothing is a big question mark for me; that is to say, I'm not totally sure how much neon is too much neon.  The shorts I'm currently coveting are J. Crew's 9-inch chino Bermuda shorts in the aptly categorized shade of "shocking pink."  I'm not going to lie, they are somewhat blinding to look at, yet I sort of love them...  But would I look absolutely ridiculous?  Maybe.  There's also a distinct possibility that it would be impossible to stare directly at me if I were wearing such a shockingly pink pair of shorts--sort of like staring at the sun.  Decisions, decisions.

Jessica Alba, rocking neon with neutrals
Photo thanks to Marie Claire, May 2011

So I've been having this neon debate in my head for the last couple of weeks.  Then, just this past weekend, while catching up on a neglected stack of fashion magazines, I happened upon some sage wisdom from Tim Gunn in the May 2011 issue of Marie Claire.  In his regular column, "Gunn Laws," he solves readers' style conundrums, and in the May issue, one reader cleverly voiced the neon question, inquiring what she should pair with a neon cardigan.  Gunn advises against pairing neon with white or black, instead recommending mid-tone neutrals, such as grey or brown, to lend a sophistication that could otherwise cause the neon to look jejune.    As evidenced by the accompanying photo of Jessica Alba, there is something to be said for balancing a brilliant neon with an warm yet understated neutral shade; somehow, the pairing seems to lesson the blatant shock of such a bright color while preserving its stylish punch.

After reading "Gunn Laws," it appears I have my answer: neon pink shorts can work, but only if paired properly.  Of course, this only begs the question: what is the proper pairing?  I guess I won't be adding the shorts to my online shopping cart just yet, but I'm definitely thinking about it.  So if you have any suggestions as to what might make my shocking pink shorts a bit more wearable, I implore you to help a neon-loving girl out; send me an email or post a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment