23.6.09

Catch the Wave: Island Chic


In preparation for our family trip to Block Island this past weekend, I had--as any beach-going fashionista would--ordered a new bathing suit.

In the days leading up to the arrival of my new swimwear, I envisioned myself wearing the black, strapless one-piece with my favorite ChloƩ sunglasses and perhaps a cowboy hat, while lounging on the beach, or reading on the deck. When it arrived, I anxiously ripped open the package to try it on.

Hmmm...I had remembered the suit was supposed to be strapless, but not topless. Was I really so tall that my torso was too long for a one-piece? Apparently so. I sadly resigned myself to the fact that a new bathing suit was not in the cards for this particular island-bound fashionista.

After my swimwear fiasco, fashion was--as it usually is--very much on my mind when I boarded the Block Island ferry. In typical Lolly fashion, I couldn't help but observe my fellow island-goers, curious about this summer's dominant trends. After all, island wear tends to follow certain patterns. For instance, if you're bound for Nantucket, I would be willing to wager that your Vera Bradley duffel contains at least one Vineyard Vines item and perhaps a pair of Jack Rogers sandals. No, no, rest assured that I do not have ESP; these are just the rules of island fashion.

However, Block Island is somewhat of an anomaly in this way. Sure, you have your trend groups. There are the surfers who faithfully rock Billabong and Quiksilver; the beach hippies with their faded cut-offs flip flops; the outdoorsy types with their Northface and Life Is Good gear; the Vineyard Viners; and the Juicy Couturers--but not one of these groups is more represented than the other. Whatever you find yourself wearing and wherever you find yourself wearing it, you can simply be as you are. The lack of a defined "island fashion" is, in itself, the Block Island style.

This is not to say that my island adventures were uninspired--very much the opposite. Thursday afternoon, my sister and I decided upon a very ambitious 10 mile run around the island. As we ran, we had the opportunity to watch the passers-by: on their bikes or mopeds, in cars, and sometimes on foot.

As one rather elegant woman peddled past on her bicycle with a man who I can only assume was her equally dapper husband, her look caught my attention. With her sun tanned glow and yellow windbreaker, she wore a pair of sturdy yet handsome white sneakers, cropped pants, and a functional yet delicate white tunic. She fit right into the backdrop of weathered shingle homes, green hills, and salty ocean air, and she was a complete fashion plate.

This nameless cyclist is, in my mind, the emblem of the Block Island look: fresh, clean, and classic. The best part about this style is that it is attainable to absolutely everyone with just a bit of wardrobe consideration.

Wanna know how? Start with those irresistible cut-off denim shorts you made using your very handy Lolly guide. If you opted for knee-length as I did, then cuff them at the bottom (I suggest a 1-2 inch cuff) to add a bit of polish to your carefree look. If you went mini, then I'm guessing no cuffing is possible... Next, throw on a brightly colored tank top for a little pop of color beneath a white tunic. No tunic? For a quick, wallet-friendly substitute, borrow a white oxford from your boyfriend or husband. Keeping it feminine, top off your look with a skinny belt at your natural waist. Viola!--island chic. It's as easy as 1, 2, 3. And now, fearless fashionista friends, it's time to catch the wave.




Images: (1) photo of Block Island, courtesy of Kwaree Blog (www.kwaree.com/); (2) Jack Purcell Distressed Sneakers in white $65, from J. Crew (www.jcrew.com/); (3) Lighweight Oxford Tunic in white $59.50, alson from J. Crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment