25.6.09

Sew Cool


On my list of things I wish I could do, you will find sewing somewhere close to the top. I envision myself in a small but chic workspace, buzzing away on my Singer machine, creating some elaborate couture dress that will dazzle all of the fashion world. I'll admit, this fantasy reads a little bit like the fashionista's version of Cinderella.

The truth of the matter is that I actually do own a sewing machine--and it lives comfortably in the trunk of my car since my apartment is too small to fit the machine anywhere. One of these days I fully intend to take lessons, but until then, what's a girl to do? If you're a wannabe seamstress like me, read on.

This weekend, the Somerville Arts Council and Fusion Ethos Fashion presents Sew What?!, an event dedicated to fashion, art, shopping, and even a Swap-o-Rama. Swap-o-Rama? Sounds fancy, right?--like the Lollapalooza of shopping and/or swapping--which actually isn't too far from the truth. At the Swap-o-Rama, attendees can explore creative re-purposing (so hot right now--and eco-friendly to boot!) through the recycling of used clothing as part of a community clothing swap and do-it-yourself workshop. And you know how I loooove DIY!

If you are an inventive fashionista who finds herself with a free Saturday, look no further--this is THE event. Bring your unwanted clothing for the ultimate in fashion DIY:
Who? you
What? Sew, What?!
Where? Central Plaza in Somerville's Union Square
When? Saturday (June 27, 2009) from 3-7 pm--rain date is Sunday 6/28
Why? because true fashion is worth a little elbow grease!

So mark your calendar for an event that is just SEW cool--you wouldn't want to miss it.




Image from Sew, What's New?, a blog devoted to sewing: http://sewwhatsnew.ning.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment