3.6.09

Peace, Love, & Tee-Shirts


So far, this week has been all about tee-shirts, and why wreck a good thing, right? So let's elaborate on our theme a bit, and throw a little peace, love, and rock & roll into the mix. After all, if you didn't know already, this year marks the 40th anniversary of Woodstock.

What you might not know about me is that my wonderful and amazing father was present at the original Woodstock in August 1969. In fact, my most cherished possession is his original ticket, still intact since the gates had been broken down by the time he actually arrived and tickets were no longer necessary. So, needless to say, I've always had a special place in my heart for Woodstock, the talented musicians who performed there, and tales of the counter-culture during that period. What can I say?--I'm such a daddy's girl.

So I was appropriately thrilled when rumors began of a 40th anniversary Woodstock tribute, to be held this summer as a one-day festival in Brooklyn. As far as I know, nothing has been etched in stone, but I remain hopeful. I feel like it's part of my DNA to attend some sort of Woodstock tribute!

In the meantime, however, I have been delighted by Woodstock tribute items cropping up everywhere--even at Target, of all places! It's true. While shopping for a picture frame last Friday, I came across a tee in the style of the original red festival poster in all of its dove/guitar glory for the uber reasonable price of $9.99! Sold (obvi!). There were other tee-shirt styles too, including a brown tee featuring a photo of the mud-covered festival attendees of 1969, appropriately titled, "Mud People." But red is such a better color for me.

Also, on sale at Delia's, teen mecca extraordinaire, is a cute reinterpretation of the original Woodstock poster, featuring the dove and festival slogan, with an appropriately added peace sign. Peace, of course, is always in style--as are love and rock & roll, to be clear.

With our Woodstock fashion needs adequately covered, all we need is a date and a location for Woodstock 2009. Otherwise, you might just find me in the back yard with the concert CD playing, frolicking in a self-made mud pit. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but never say never--tribute shall be paid!



Images in order of appearance: (1) original concert poster from www.joanharvest.wordpress.com; (2) Woodstock tee from Target $9.99, online at www.target.com; (3) Woodstock tee from Delias $26.50, online at www.delias.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment