8.6.09

The Verdict: Monokini Madness

To monokini or not to monokini? That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler to wear a one-piece suit or a bikini--or to embrace the hybrid of the two?...

This issue is nothing if not a beachwear conundrum, which is why I presented the debate to you, my fierce and faithful fashionista friends. However, I was rather surprised to discover that, while some feel passionate about it, many neither love nor loathe the monokini. But before we come to any hasty conclusions, let's hear the pros and cons, shall we?

MUST HAVE:
-Absolutely love it and will be purchasing one in the near future.
-Love it-but you gotta have Giselles abs...
-A stay-put version of the bikini but still shows off one's beach bod.

MUST NOT:
-I've only seen tiny model body types wearing them and am guessing that the monokini is not the most flattering design for regular ladies. They look kind of uncomfortable and cause some bizarre tan lines.
-Loathe it. Weird.
-I think these are at best just blah.

Perhaps my favorites from the "loathe it" faction is Miss Rebecca Newman, one of my fashion insiders on the college scene. Becca convincingly argues the following:

The monokini, how I loathe you, let me count the ways. Have you noticed, that even on that waif of a lady, her hips look enormous? That's because this garment is not made to flatter. Nope, not even a little bit. There are so many flattering and sexy ways to wear a one-piece, and the same is true for a bikini, so why mix the two worlds into something so unflattering? The especially low-cut bottom section is really not working for the hip situation, and honestly, there are few women in this world who can really pull it off.

In my opinion, swimwear should follow the rules of formal wear: simple and elegant. No one cares how fantastic your dress is if it's cut down to your bellybutton and with a slit up to your see you next Tuesday. Simple and elegant are always the key, and the monokini does not follow. Sure, designers need something with which to keep the racks busy and something for the spring lines, but is the monokini the answer? Not in this fashionista's humble opinion.

That said, I fall somewhere in the middle--perhaps in the "to be determined" category. As with any fashion trend, there are infinite amalgamations of this style, some of which I LOVE and others that I positively LOATHE. When it comes to swimwear, there is a fine line between sexy and scandalous that must be respected, and the monokinis that I adore fall within the "sexy" demarcation.

For instance, I'm loving Rugby's Sash Stripe Halter Monokini. It adheres to the basic design principles of the monokini, but the portion of the suit connecting the top and bottom is more substantial than you see elsewhere, with the side cut-outs present but more subtle. This is a monokini that I would definitely wear.

Another favorite is Billabong's Striped Athletic One Piece, available from Urban Outfitters. This design is more traditionally one-piece, but it borrows from the monokini's characteristic "cut-out" look in a fun and flirty way, with the added bonus of its zippy, youthful print.

At the end of the day, I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to bathing suits. I'm partial to halter tankini tops and boy-short bottoms. The "wow!" factor for my bathing suits are typically present in the details: a fabulously preppy monogram or grommet-ties on my boy-short bottoms.

I tend to love the idea of bold prints or unusual styles, but can't quite seem to take the plunge in reality. This may be what's truly standing between the monokini and me. However, I am presently considering the Rugby suit for my trip to Block Island in a couple of weeks, and if I am able to pull it off (that's the other problem--I am not Gisele Bündchen), I will most certainly report back.

Enough talk! You want the verdict, right? Looks like the jury is out on this one. Somewhere between love and loathe is like, and you can find the monokini resting there--most likely tanning on a beach somewhere.



Swimwear in order of appearance: (1) Victoria's Secret Color-Block Monokini, photo courtesy of the Shoe Tube Blog: http://shoetube.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/v283531.jpg; (2) Rugby Sash Stripe Halter Monokini $112, from http://www.rugby.com/; (3) Billabong Striped Athletic One Piece $59.99 (marked down from $88!), available from Urban Outfitters, online at http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment