9.7.09

Lulu-love

Last night, for the first time ever, my sister and I ventured to the Baron Baptiste studio in Cambridge for 90 minutes of power vinyasa yoga. If you've never been, this means 90 minutes of yoga practice in a heated room--so we were a little intimidated but decided to be brave.

Despite the distraction of sharing a corner with a fellow practitioner whose breathing resembled that of Darth Vader and who sweat like she was made of water, we loved it--it was challenging, invigorating, and a great overall work out. Having felt a number of stresses in our lives recently, it was exactly what we needed.

Of course, in between downward facing dog and warrior pose, we couldn't help but observe our classmates. As Annie remarked afterwards, "It was Lululemon up the wazoo in there!" Truly, it was. While I'm historically a Nike girl, I couldn't resist investigating the athletic apparel hotspot currently known as Lululemon...

Originating in British Columbia, the store was founded by Chip Wilson, who fell in love with yoga after his first time practicing. Chip felt inspired to revamp yoga apparel, after noting the inappropriate use of cotton clothing for sweaty power yoga (true!--so I learned). Favoring the more technical athletic fabrics, the first Lululemon store opened in 1998 in Vancouver. Clearly, the frenzy has grown since, and now Lululemon has an undeniable hold on fashion-forward exercise apparel.

On that note, after perusing the online selection, my crystal ball tells me that it is likely I will become a Lulu-lovin' Lolly. At the top of my list are: the Dance Pulse Wrap, the Yogini Pants, and the 5-Year Tee:
  • The pants are perfectly contoured for a comfortable fit, while remaining breathable during an intense practice.

  • The elongated silhouette of the tee is ideal for stretchy poses, when (if you're long-torsoed like us Warner girls) you find your midriff showing--whether you want to or not.

  • Then, at the completion of your practice, when normal room temperatures feel practically artic after the tropical highs of the yoga studio, you can cozy up into the Dance Pulse Wrap.

With just a few key items, you're well on your way towards becoming a yoga star--and looking mighty fine in the process (added bonus!). So between now and next Wednesday, don't be surprised to find me browsing the selection at Lululemon. I mean, I can just see myself in those pants! Until then, fashionistas, namaste and be well.




Images courtesy of Lululemon, online at www.lululemon.com. Apparel: (1) Dance Pulse Wrap in heathered charcoal, $98; (2) Yogini Pants in charcoal, $96; and (3) 5-Year Tee in caribe, $49--all available from Lululemon.

1 comment:

  1. I love lululemon, call me when you're going to go visit the store! I don't know if we'll look quite like Mr. Muscles in our lululemon pants, but we'll look way cuter than dripping Darth. Gross.

    ReplyDelete