2.7.09

Under My Umbrella (ella...ella...)

I realized that, during yesterday's discussion of rocking the rain, I neglected to mention the obvious: the point is to stay dry. Of course, trench coats and rubber boots are ideal weapons against a cold, wet rainstorm--but let us not forget the value of an umbrella.

While driving to work this morning in what seemed like an apocalyptic torrent of rain, Rihanna's catchy "Umbrella" pulsed appropriately through my brain like my own internal soundtrack, making me think of umbrellas (obvi). Then it hit me, like a bolt of lightning (don't worry--not literally): what a fun fashion accessory! I mean, I just adore my Burberry umbrella--a well selected Christmas gift from my husband during our courtship. I find it utterly fulfilling to guard myself from the weather with something that's functional, yet chic.

While Burberry may or may not have a trench coat monopoly, when it comes to umbrellas, other designers also cater to the weather-conscious fashionista. I have searched high and low and come up with my top 3 favorite umbrellas, offering rainy-day fabulousity at every price point.

1.) From the ultra-mod Marimekko comes the Omena White Umbrella, a classic white umbrella with a charming red apple print. I am admittedly a huge fan of all things Marimekko, but what I like about this umbrella in particular is its young, whimsical look. Can't you just picture yourself in pigtails with red Hunter wellies and this very umbrella? Too cute for words. Price tag: $32

2.) Spell it out with the Standard Supply umbrella from Marc by Marc Jacobs. This sturdy green and black umbrella makes its function known through neon green letters circling round. I like the contrast of the more traditional base pattern with the bright neon alphabet graphics. So edgy--and so typical of Sir Marc, my favorite above favorites. Price tag: $58

3.) Mark your territory with the Monogram Umbrella from the Horchow Collection. Select from apple green, raspberry, or aqua, and then add your first initial in contrast script so there is no mistake about who is in charge. This umbrella screams preppy--and is absolutely irresistible. Price tag: $19

While I can't imagine actually singing in the rain, the right umbrella might make me happy enough to do so. What better way to brighten a grey day than a little pop! of color overhead? But don't worry if you forgot yours at home--I'll let you stand under my umbrella (ella...ella...eh...eh...).





Images in order of appearance: (1) London Underground art print $59.99, from AllPosters (http://www.allposters.com/); (2) Omena White Umbrella by Marimekko, on sale for $32 at Finnish Gifts (http://www.finnishgifts.com/), image from http://www.oaknyc.com/; (3) Standard Supply Umbrella $58, from Marc by Marc Jacobs, available at Nordstrom (http://www.nordstrom.com/); (4) Monogrammed Umbrella, on sale for $19 from the Horchow Collection (http://www.horchow.com/).

No comments:

Post a Comment