15.7.09

My Sister's Closet: Proenza Schouler

One thing you should know about me is that I take much fashion guidance from my sister, Annie, who covets designer duds as much as I do. It is for this reason that I have decided to implement a regular series of posts on My Sister's Closet so that the rest of you fashionistas out there can benefit from her infinite fashion-forward wisdom. So, welcome to the first episode.

This week, what my sister wants in her closet is the Proenza Schouler leather halter dress worn by Emma Watson at the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince New York Premiere last week. Heralding from Proenza Schouler's Pre-Spring 2010 collection, this dress defines "mixed aesthetic," featuring an intricate leather halter top with a fluid, silky off-white skirt.

Proenza Schouler is a relatively young luxury label, created in 2002 by the design team of Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough. The two met in design school, and after working with fashion greats like Michael Kors and Marc Jacobs (respectively), they joined forces for their graduation project. Clearly a creative match made en vogue, the two went on to craft the name of their label from their mothers' maiden names--and to becoming the darling duo of the fashion industry. According to New York Magazine's profile, "This modern luxury label offers an edgy, youthful take on upscale dressing."

Were this PS dress to find its way to my sister's closet (and I'm sure she would be able to find a hanger for it), she could easily rock this look. The dress speaks for itself, as any design should--and also speaks volumes about Miss Watson's taste (either in designers or stylists). The dress, combined with Emma's sleek, understated hair and make-up creates an overall look of effortless class, allowing her to look simultaneously elegant and youthful.

As usual, my sister's eye for fashion is spot-on. In the words of Jeffrey Kalinsky, Executive Vice President of Designer Merchandising for Nordstrom, “A lot of the clothing today that gets very hyped, I go see it and I’m like, 'The emperor has no clothes!' But this is clothing fit for royalty.” What can I say?--sister knows best.


Images: (1) My sister, Annie, photographed by me; (2) Emma Watson wearing Proenza Schouler at the NY Premiere of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, photo courtesy of http://www.mirror.co.uk/; (3) Look #12 from Proenza Schouler's Pre-Spring 2010 Collection, photo courtesy of Proenza Schouler, online at http://proenzaschouler.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment