8.7.09

Need Therapy?

With my impending move on my mind, thoughts of floor plans, furniture, linens, and accessories have been swirling through my head with increasing speed. Obsessive? Absolutely. In need of some therapy? Of course!--which is why, with each passing day, I find myself anxiously awaiting my daily email from Apartment Therapy.

If you don't know about Apartment Therapy, then allow me to be the official welcome wagon. Apartment Therapy is a website devoted to "saving the world one room at a time," running features on design-savvy living spaces around the nation. Their official mission is helping people make their homes more beautiful, organized and healthy by connecting them to a wealth of resources, ideas and community online--which, by extension, means inspiring both homeowners and renters to create a serene dwelling where they can relax, entertain, and generally feel at peace. Umm, yes please!

Today's Apartment Therapy email featured the "Best Northwestern Homes," and I fell in love with "Erin and Melanie's Sunny Mission Oasis," a 750 sq-foot apartment in the Mission District of San Francisco. Once again demonstrating the way that fashion is very much alive in the home, this living room scene implemented blue and brown, one of my very favorite color combinations. I am mesmerized by the contrasting textures, the way their soft blue sofa and plush rug play off of the classic hardwood floors, sleek and modern coffee table, and tall, skinny corner book shelf. The bright white walls and streaming natural light add a freshness to the space, further complimented by accents in various shades of blue. In the same way that I can envision myself in an amazing pair of heels or a perfect pair of jeans, I can totally see myself living in--and loving--this space.

Of course, I immediately began to think of how I might recreate a similar aesthetic in my own home-to-be. I feel that Erin and Melanie got it right with their careful pairing of textures: rich, dark wood with brightly colored plastics and soft, luscious fabric. The same principals are at work here as when putting together an outfit: a delicate balance of color and texture working together to create the overall look.

In my own living room, my husband and I absolutely adore our small, espresso-colored leather couch. In our apartment, we have matched our couch with dark wood bookshelves, a dark wood coffee table, and a neutral sisal rug. When we graduate to a larger space in our new home next month, we are looking forward to adding more color and mixing textures for a more balanced effect.

For Christmas from my mother, we received an armchair, newly upholstered in a soft neutral fabric with a brilliant lime paisley print swirling through-out in a raised velvet. Since it doesn't fit in our current home, we are anxious to put it to use! It is quite the statement chair, and I'm looking forward to the fierce contrast it will offer to our more traditional couch. Of course, it also suggests a fabulous color scheme: lime green and espresso brown. I couldn't be more excited to get to work. T minus three weeks!--Can you tell that I'm counting?

Even if you're not moving, it's so much fun to gaze upon your home decor with a critical eye. Are you utilizing the full potential of the space? What accessories could complete your vision? How does a room make you feel? Chances are, a little (apartment) therapy could do you some good. For suggestions and inspirations, be sure to visit Apartment Therapy online at http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/. After all, if you can't feel zen at home, then where can you?



Images courtesy of Apartment Therapy, available online at www.apartmenttherapy.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment