21.7.09

The Neon Experiment, Phase 1

If you want to get scientific about it (don't worry, I promise there is no quiz), neon is the chemical element that has the symbol Ne and atomic number 10. Although a very common element in the universe, it is rare on Earth. Rare, that is, until recently, when neon became all the rage.

Don't tell me you haven't noticed. In homage to the 80s, neon (referred to interchangeably with "fluorescent," though they're really not synonymous) has moved far beyond highlighters--and is absolutely dominating apparel and accessories. A sucker for any and every item that can be ordered in hot pink, I have been thrilled with this trend. Particularly when it comes to nail polish; as you may know, I've raved again and again of Essie's Punchy Pink.

However, in the interest of not being too predictable, when my sister and I went to have our nails done last week, I decided to broaden my horizons. And thus began the neon experiment. Sure, hot pink falls in the "neon" category, but it's still playing it rather safe. I mean, there are a million shades of pink out there, and practically anyone--fashionista or not--considers pink an acceptable and perhaps even an ordinary color. And I am so not ordinary.

This is how I found myself in the spa chair at Lauren's Nails, having my toes painted with Essie's Funky Limelight, which I fondly refer to as "highlighter yellow." This color, part of Essie's Neon Collection for 2009, is like caution tape for your nails. Ordinary? I think not! But as for successful, that's another story.

Though my toes look absolutely stunning--and, in fact, bring new meaning to this word--in the natural light, when I'm in doors and under artificial light, they look a bit toxic (and unfortunately not in the super hot Britney Spears way). It appears that the artificial light drains the neon pop!, leaving behind a sickly yellow-green.

Being the self-absorbed fashionista that I am, I shared my nail color woes with my father--since he cares so much about these sort of things (umm, no). While he doesn't speak (nail)Polish, as an artist, he understands color--and so told me, "You should have put a white base coat underneath the yellow." Apparently, this white primer would have enabled the perpetual zing! that my nails are so desperately lacking. Live and learn.

So, while Phase 1 of the Neon Experiment fell somewhat short of fabulous, I'm happy to report that there are two more Essie neons that I have yet to try: Flirty Fuschia and Perky Purple. I'm not usually one to embrace purple (I have this theory in life: you're either a pink or a purple, but you can't be both), a fashionista will not rest until her work is done. So, for Phase 2, I will boldly go where no Lolly has ever gone before. Stay tuned for the next episode.



Credits: Neon "Ne" image and definition from Wikipedia; Essie Funky Limelight polish $8, from Essie (www.essie.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment