17.7.09

Seeing Red


Please tell me I'm not the only one out there who feels like I always want what I can't have. I mean, I spend half the year itching for summer, and when it arrives--along with the stifling humidity--I can't help but yearn for those cool, autumnal days. Conveniently, that's what trend forecasting is all about (I should know--I did take the class): predicting what's up-and-coming, what will be hot hot hot.

Speaking of hot, my fashion-savvy crystal ball is seeing red. Not just any red, but the rich ruby red of the new Victorio Dress by Diane von Furstenberg. Made of felted wool jersey, this stunning dress features an asymmetrical neckline and ruching at the sides, hitting just above the knee. While fall may be a good two months away, it never hurts to plan ahead, especially when you can pre-order this dress for shipment later this month.

This dress was a serious case of love at first sight for me, as it epitomizes a classic, understated elegance. The unique contouring of the neckline and the jewel-red tone adds a hint of edge to the more traditional a-line silhouette. Even if you're typically one to balk at color (hello, New England!), red is a wardrobe staple that you just can't shy away from. While you may chide me for this, I truly think of red in almost the same way that I consider black: it is a fashion "DO," as it can be paired with practically anything and works for almost everyone. Especially brunettes--don't hate me because I'm lucky.

While I sincerely hope this horrifying humidity finds you at the beach and not running errands about town, if you find yourself in the latter category, rest assured that you can find solace in pre-fall wardrobe planning--especially if such planning takes you straight to DvF. For if it does, seeing red may very well keep you from seeing red.



Victorio Dress by Diane von Furstenberg $398, available online at www.dvf.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment