31.8.09

Episode 5, The Verdict: Give Marilyn Manson and Faux Fur Vests A Chance

When a fabulous faux fur vest made an appearance in the window display of French Lessons, one of my favorite local boutiques, I immediately added it to my list of fall fashion "must buys." Chic yet functional, I could picture myself wearing it casually or out on the town; don't you just love versatility?


Feeling confident that faux fur vests will be all the rage this season, I had to know your thoughts. I mean, I couldn't be the only fashionista out there waiting for the temperature to drop, right? So I opened it up to Love It or Loathe It?, the fifth episode, starring (obvi) faux fur vests: hot or not?


I was surprised to discover that y'all are a bunch of haters! Truly. Either that or I'm losing my edge, a possibility that I simply cannot accept. But I did ask, so I have no one to blame but myself. That said, the nay-sayers all make solid points, and some even made me giggle:
  • I personally don't like the way fur looks, real or fake. I prefer sleeker lines, tailored edges, and fur tends to be too blurry for me. However, fur lining is hella warm. Decisions, decisions.

  • If I wanted to wear a rug, I would just lie down on the floor and roll myself up in a carpet.

  • Faux fur vests and vests in general do not speak to me at all. If a gal needs a little extra cover-up in cool weather, I'm all for sleek, slinky, finely-knitted cardigans. Fits in with current "Mad Men" sartorial craze, don't you think? In matters of taste, always refer to Audrey Hepburn, the style queen of all ages.

  • There is a certain je ne sais quoi about fur that makes me feel that only ladies who lunch can truly get away with wearing it... So for the everygirl like myself, this fur vest is a definite no. However, if fur is your thing, let it be fake or risk the wrath of angry Peta-filled mobs.

  • To be worn only while wearing wide-leg denim and over-sized sunglasses while religiously sipping a grande nonfat latte. Also requisite: your name is Rachel Zoe.

Ahhh, who doesn't love a good Rachel Zoe joke? Of course, there are some on the fence, who appreciate the concept of faux fur vests but can't see it playing out in their own wardrobe. The neutral territory of Love It or Loathe It?, if you will:
  • I think I would be a little overwhelmed wearing one myself, but I think it definitely looks good on some people in the right situation. I can only handle fur accessories or parts of an article being fur, like the hood on your Juicy sweatshirt.

Last but (absolutely) not least are the fabulously fierce few who like it HOT:

  • Love it. Especially with dark skinnies and cute jewelry.

I place myself in this latter category for sure. I love the regal, timeless look of fur, and while I don't necessarily consider myself an animal activist, faux fur is both animal-friendly and budget-friendly--so it's a win/win in my book.

As far as the vest component is concerned, I have been a vest convert for many moons now, as they provide practically the same degree of warmth as a jacket, while letting you breathe a little too. Furthermore, as vests lack the utilitarian bulkiness of a jacket, the other elements of your carefully crafted outfit can see and be seen. Again, a win/win.

Do I sound defensive? How unbecoming... Let me say it this way instead: a faux fur vest is a fierce, contemporary reinterpretation of a the classically elegant fur coat or stole. Think of it as a cover, like when Marilyn Manson covered Screamin' Jay Hawkins' I Put A Spell On You for the soundtrack to David Lynch's 1997 Lost Highway. At first, it's borderline sacrilege--but then you realize that, as much as you want to hate it, you are totally and completely in love.

So, yes, that's my argument: give Marilyn Manson and faux fur vests a chance.





Images, in order of appearance: (1) "Mongola" Faux Fur Vest by Joie $318, available at Bloomingdale's (online at www.bloomingdales.com); (2) Hooded Faux Fur Vest by Juicy Couture $278, also from Bloomingdale's.

1 comment:

  1. you are one fabulously fierce fashionista.. i love it!

    ReplyDelete