23.12.09

Socks Again!

With just a few days left until Christmas, last night found me furiously multi-tasking in a desperate attempt to finish my holiday to-do list (if only...). As a consolation, I put on my newly purchased A Charlie Brown Christmas DVD to lift my spirits. What I didn't realize was that, in addition to A Charlie Brown Christmas, my DVD also featured It's Christmas Time Again, Charlie Brown--added bonus!

You're probably wondering where this is going, seeing that this is a fashion blog... Well, let me first tell you that It's Christmas Time Again, Charlie Brown doesn't hold a candle to A Charlie Brown Christmas. That said, I still had to laugh at the following scene, where Sally and Linus are listening to "The Twelve Days of Christmas" on the radio:

Sally: That song drives me crazy! What in the word is a "calling bird"?!

Linus: A "calling bird" is a kind of partridge. In 1 Samuel 26:20, it says, "For the King of Israel has come out to seek my life, just as though he were hunting the calling bird." There's a play on words here, you see. David was standing on a mountain calling, and he compared himself to a partridge being hunted. Isn't that fascinating?

Sally: If I get socks again for Christmas this year, I'll go even more crazy!!!

What Charlie Brown's little sis doesn't know is that socks are a faaaaabulous gift. In fact, I attended a Sock Swap with my favorite Bessie Blue girls just a few weeks ago (if you're slow on the uptake, that's a Yankee Swap where only socks are swapped), and I've never seen a more heated exchange of footwear since the Pucci boots scene in Confessions of a Shopaholic! With socks, the possibilities are endless. I'm partial to knee-socks, especially if they are argyle. My husband, on the other hand, absolutely adores Smart Wool socks. My dearest Momma is obsessed with dainty little ankle socks. And the list goes on... So, silly Sally, I will have to (respectfully) disagree. In the winter especially, everyone wears socks! So why not gift them?



Quotes taken from It's Christmas Time Again, Charlie Brown (1992). Images, in order of appearance: (1) Scene from A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965), thanks to TV.com (http://www.tv.com/); (2) Scene from It's Christmas Time Again, Charlie Brown (1992), thanks to YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/); (3) J. Crew argyle socks, photo thanks to Tres Tres Chic blog (http://sochicitsscary.blogspot.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment