7.12.09

Too Turquoise

One bland November weekend (well, not really--it was right before Thanksgiving), I ventured up Canada way (Montréal, in particular, of course!) to visit some old friends and recall the simple pleasures of my summer life. I was invited to a surprise engagement/birthday party of a friend, and while I was there, noticed a beautiful and exciting trend: deep turqouise for fall.

Everyone was doing it. The bride-to-be/birthday girl had on a beautiful black and turquoise dress. Her best friend's dress was also in the same family. As I looked down, I noticed that I was wearing turquoise tights with my burgundy pumps and little black dress. It was everywhere, even the lights in our classy Gossip Girl-esque supper club. Even Bella is doing it.

When I trudged back to Ohio (sigh), I noticed it was everywhere here as well. When my Astronomy professor wore a turquoise shirt to class, I knew it was truly a trend. Interestingly, we also have learned in Astronomy that, when stars are moving towards us, they are called "blueshifted" because we perceive the light they emit as blue due to their motion. A blue tint also indicates new star formation in the sky. Fashion taking a hint from the Laws of Physics? I'm peachy with that.

Blue, especially lighter turqouise, is so often seen as a summer color, given its bright, tropical and beachy feel. Yet, a deeper turquoise is showing us all that there can be some versatility to color, and there is a way to wear blue in autumn without defaulting to navy.

The verdict: love it. It's a perfect pop of color that plays surprisingly well with others, especially neutrals. It's the perfect color for a scarf, tights, or even pendant if you're in the mood for a touch of the American Southwest. So don't just settle for bland blues; invest in some new turquoise pieces and see what happens!

xoxo la montréalaise

Images, in order of appearance: (1) Bella Swan and Edward Cullen (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2120989/bella_swan_from_twilight_halloween.html); (2) Turquoise ballet flats, available at Polyvore (www.polyvore.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment