9.4.09

To Belt or Not to Belt?



I don't want to sound like a total fashion victim or anything, but I simply must confess: yes, I was watching Sex and the City (again) this weekend. Hence the Carrie Bradshaw/Sarah Jessica Parker pic. And yes, I was totally and completely inspired. Hence this posting.

Like you, I was privy to all the rage about the black leather studded belt that SJP wore in numerous scenes--pet named "Roger"--when the movie first came out. Never really being much of a belt girl myself, I mostly phased out all the belt fury. Yet, during my recent weekend viewing, I gave the infamous belt a bit more attention, which is precisely how I found myself at this fashion crossroads. After years and years of going without, the question on my mind is: to belt or not to belt?

First, why my dislike for belts? Well, we all have our "problem areas." You know, the one spot on our body that we would gladly change if given a genie in a bottle or the wave of a magic wand? I have a love-handle paranoia, which motivates me to buy empire waisted dresses, tunics, and longer tees--anything to draw attention elsewhere. So why, oh why, would I ever put a belt precisely in this area? It would be like drawing a target.

Why the change of heart, you ask? Have I miraculous slimmed down, morphed into Giselle? Sadly no, BUT I have realized that I am totally under-utilizing a fabulous fashion accoutrement by going without a belt. Obvious function aside, a belt also represents the opportunity to contrast colors, textures, or varying aesthetics so as to complete your look. The truth is, I have to credit Sex and the City for my epiphany; Patricia Field, stylist of our favorite Big Apple foursome, is an absolute genius. She has, to put it mildly, changed by life--and my waistline.

I am now a total convert. This spring I fully intend to work the waist in an homage to Patricia Field's belted brilliance, pairing more industrial style hardware like Free People's double-wrap studded belt with flirty pastels and spring florals for my very favorite blend of girly and rock star. Not to mention the touch of fabulous that such a belt would add to my fallback uniform of a white tee and dark wash jeans! It's just so simple, I can't believe that the answer was right in front of me all this time: to belt, most definitely.




Image from the movie, Sex and the City, featuring Sarah Jessica Parker wearing "Roger." Studded Double Wrap Belt $68 by Free People, available online at www.freepeople.com. Taegan Studded Belt (color: cherry) by Rock and Republic: www.rockandrepublic.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment