12.1.10

If You Build It, They Will Come: Bring Fashion Home

It seems the New Year has--at least subconsciously--inspired me. This past weekend, without having made any resolutions (aside from the "work out more" promise I make to myself constantly), I finally grew tired of all the blank wall space in my new house and went to work on the stacks of framed photographs and paintings collecting dust in the corner. The result? Outstanding, of course! But more importantly, the process itself reignited my passion for interior design and commitment to making my home my own personal sanctuary. So for today's post, let this be a disclaimer: fashion has (re)entered the home, along with my purported DIY wisdom.

So now the real question is: how exactly does one build a sanctuary? For me, it's all about color and balance. You may recall the Tiffany debate, which was ultimately resolved using Tiffany-inspired accents (ie. a side table and wooden chest) to contrast and compliment a black four-poster bed and wall of black and white photographs in solid black frames of varying size. As you might have guessed, the photographs went up this weekend, adding the perfect polish to my desired aesthetic.

The trouble is, every room is a process, and it's all too easy to burn out. Hello, I moved in 5 months ago, and I'm still not done "settling." So I have decided (perhaps for reasons of self-preservation) that you can't rush the process. Sometimes it takes days, weeks, or even months to find/commit to a vision. From that point on, the room becomes a work-in-progress, until one day (breathe) it is finally complete. Do I sound like I've been doing too much yoga? Maybe. But not for nothing, this can work! Let me elaborate...

My new project is our guest room. I've been agonizing over it for a while now. The biggest challenge is the fact that we rent, not own, our home. This means that, as much as I want to get rid of the white wardrober that's waaaay too enormous for such a little space, or to fix the ridiculous electrical work (who puts light switches behind a door, really?), we have to work within the space that's there. Having finally accepted that, I can move forward.

First order of business: color scheme. My adorable sister recently shared her Serena & Lily obsession with me, and a visit to their website helped me find inspiration in their Citrine Collection, a delicately fresh take on lemon/lime. I had previously toyed with the idea of a bright lime palette in this room, but since my living room is all about lime accents, I threw in the towel. Thanks to Serena & Lily, however, I now find myself in a lighter, brighter place (in so many ways), having introduced lemony yellows and sage greens into the mix to add softness and balance.

The next step: make the inspiration a reality, and this means making it your own. After all, no one lives in a catalog so it's useless to try to replicate catalog look. For instance, the intricate white bed frame in this image is lovely, but the bed in my guestroom is black wrought-iron. While I'm not going to buy a new bed, I can still make this look work for me with citrusy bedding, accent pillows, maybe even a side table or chair. Another hiccup is the black dresser housing much of my husband's wardrobe. It's anything but light and airy, but I can pull in my color palette by switching out the hardware with a mismatched collection of yellows, whites, greens, and maybe even a splash of blue for good measure.

An important part of this personalization process is to add the finishing touches that make a room feel like "home" (or a home for guests, in my case). Whether you have a penchant for painting, photography, or prints, a room can never be a sanctuary unless it tells your story. Surprisingly, this is where my home decor project began so I can check it off my list. However, this can also serve as a fabulous chance to get creative if you don't already have a collection of art to display. Grab your camera and start snapping, or dust off your easel--the possibilities are endless...

As they say, if you build it, they will come. Well, dearest fashionista friends, the time has come: ready, set, build! This year, let's do our part to bring fashion home.

Images, in order of appearance: (1) One of my inspirations in the Tiffany saga, photo from Gaita Interiors (www.gaitainteriors.com/blog); (2) Citrine Dreams, a new inspiration for my guest room thanks to Serena & Lily (http://www.serenaandlily.com/); (3) Bubbled Glass Knob in olive $8, from Anthropologie (http://www.anthropologie.com/).

No comments:

Post a Comment